• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone build a laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sifu quoc

im jsut wondering if anyone has built a laptop... not from dell or whatever...

if so, how or where did you buy the parts?

I've heard people ask this and the answer is it's MUCH more expensive and technically difficult to build than to buy. Most companies that make laptops build custom designs for each line they have. There is no real standard in laptop design like there is in a desktop.

--Illah

Precisely. Laptops are an area of computing were form factors (stadards) would limit the advancement of new product development.
Each manufacturer will have their own way of doing things so you wouldn't be able to use a part from this company with a part from that company.

If you're looking into building yourself a tiny PC (Smaller than 10" x 10" x 6" and NOT FOR 3D) I recommend researching THIS as one option.
Anything smaller than that would involve a system engineered around an SBC (Single Board Computer).

Those computers are really nice. I just looked at them really fast Im not sure if they are the same ones at ThinkGeek but the ones there I can get at cost through a friend so I have been saving up to get one. That is a good alternative to a lap top if you use it lets say on campus where you can just plug into moniors in a lab or somthing...

You could use a micro-ATX mobo, and build a suitcase computer. Some micro atx boards have AGP ports and everything. You could put an LCD screen in the top part of the suitcase. That was you would have a nice computer, upgradable and portable. the only problem is, you wont have a battery, so airplane/bus/car use is impossible.

the highest voltage in a computer is 12v, so i guess you could rig up a car adapter for it. just clip the atx connector off of a dead PSU, or buy one, then hook the correct voltages into the proper spots. I wonder if that would work?

Desktop PCs draw WAY too much power to be used in a car unless you add a second battery or build yourself a custom power supply.

But as far as size I haven't found any way to make a PC smaller than 10" x 10" x 6" without sacrificing upgradability or cooling efficiency. (See below)...

CS_BOX.jpg

WOW! that small sys is really sweet! not like i am considering buying one (expensive as hell.... $850 for the one i configured) but what graphics does it use? software or 3d accelerated on board (like i highly doubt open gl compatible but maybe direct 3d?)

It's a micro-atx Socket 370 system built mostly from spare parts. I was able to squeeze it down to that size by using a Notebook CD-ROM and HDD with convertors. The case itself is being custom cut out of Polycarbonate Lexan with my friends table saw and I should have it finished in a week or two.

The video card will be my trusty TNT2 Ultra 32MB DDR. This will be my secondary computer for playing on-the-go or my quick setup system for my "opponents".

I'm close to having 3-4 computers networked so I can cream all of my friends in UT.

Back