• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is CPU temp. reading accurate in BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan Altick

Registered
I just installed a Swiftech MCX462 w 68.5CFM Delta fan using Arctic Silver 3, but my temperature reading in the BIOS (2328) with the case cover off is still around 42C. I have an XP1800+ CPU. Does anybody know if that sounds to hot for this heatsink and thermal compound, and if so, what should I do? This is with no overclocking on either the CPU or FSB. From articles I have read I believe I should be getting temps. in the 30's. Does anybody know if the BIOS temp reads too high or did I just not use enough compound? Need some help here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Also when I put my case cover on, my temp. rises about 5 to 6C to about 47C total. I have fans in both the front and back as well as the PS fan. Any good suggestions here? Thanks

You're going to have to post more information. Post the motherboard model, CPU etc. Another thing that will come to play is the ambient air temperature.

Off the cuff though, I don't think that temps in the low 40's are out of line. However a temperature increase of 5 or 6 degres may indicate the need to look at your case air-flow, either a bit of housekeeping within the case or additional case fans may be in order.

Good Luck!

Back