• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need video upgrade advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i810 Forever

Using an HP Pavilion 6730, 600Mhz Celeron @ 750Mhz using CPUfsb, 256MB RAM (just picked up two 256MB sticks to use instead for 512MB), Hercules 3DProphet 4000XT PCI (32MB Kyro 1 115Mhz/115Mhz).

I walked into the local PC store today and there is now a PNY Verto GeForce 4MX 420 PCI (250Mhz GPU, 166Mhz SDRAM) for $99 (The SDRAM on this board as seen on the box is BGA-SDRAM, so wouldn't it overclock really good?). Would this be a noticable and worthwhile performance boost over the Kyro (115Mhz GPU/115Mhz SDRAM)? How is the image quality on the MX420 in comparison to the Kyro? Thanks in advance.

imho you would see a bigger performance boost going to a 30$ used bx board and overclock the crap outta the Celly....and then get a Geforce2 GTS or radeonLe for aroun 50$;....a PCI card is NOT worth it...the PCI bus is the bottleneck...you wont see much of an increase in speed....

then you would have a Celly 800, with a DDR based video card and 512ram and youd have a pretty nice system...

oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS:)

The GF4 MX line is a waste of PCB board IMHO, get a cheaper GF2 like funnyperson said or a GF3 Ti200 or GF4 Ti4200; these are your most logical upgrade routes, a GF4 MX is more like stepping sideways.

Pinky said:
The GF4 MX line is a waste of PCB board IMHO, get a cheaper GF2 like funnyperson said or a GF3 Ti200 or GF4 Ti4200; these are your most logical upgrade routes, a GF4 MX is more like stepping sideways.

problem is that his board has no AGP....any board higher than a Gf2 MX is a waste in a PCI slot....

I'm not concerned with having really high FPS, I just would like better consistency. I would also think the 64MB VRAM would help since the 32MB Kyro @ 1024x768 plays fine straight through Medal of Honor, but dramatically slows down in levels with lots of closeby object to draw and textures to display (some jello-like textures, like when I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein on a 12MB Voodoo 2). Would the MX420 help at all, or should I just stick with the Kyro?

I don't want to build a new machine. I like the small microATX formfactor and small case (the machine, despite the obsolete hardware, is an easy carry to a LAN party, etc.) and I want to wait as long as possible to build a new machine (want to wait until more Pentium 4 price cuts, see how the Thouroughbred is when it is released). I like the machine I have right now.

I can overclock the machine up to a 133Mhz FSB in CPUfsb, running 750Mhz now (150Mhz overclock) with standard 1.65v (I need to up the voltage). With some better cooling and a voltage boost I'm hoping for a good overclock. For cooling, what is the most powerful cooling I can add to this machine (socket 370 Celeron)?

it may help, but i would suggest you get a geforce2 MX400 PCI card for around 40$ as 100$ just isnt worth it in a PCI card....

for cooling i suggest a Thermalright AX-7 with a decent 80mm fan...if not going all out you can find some decent generic 15$ coolers at www.svcompucycle.com that should be just as high an oc with a celly (these things were designed for Athlons)....

I plan on running the CPU at 2.05v, would an AX-7 & 80mm fan be sufficient (I don't have too much headroom for a monsterous cooler), or would I get more from water cooling? (I have plenty of tubing, pumps available). The case does not have great ventilation so I'd assume having a waterblock connected to a radiator outside the case would work much better.

funnyperson1 said:

problem is that his board has no AGP....any board higher than a Gf2 MX is a waste in a PCI slot....

Doh!!

bouble DOH!!!

My bad. Friend recently used a radeon 7000 PCI (that he had laying around) and it was pretty lame, looked like the bandwidth was being choaked... changed to a 7200 AGP and it was amazingly faster. So what I'm saying is that FP is right on, get a MX400 with DDR and that should be the best for the buck.

Is there such a thing as a PCI Kyro2? Because videologic cards need a lot less bandwidth to do the same thing. The Kyro2 uses less bandwidth than a MX and still beats it(by a bit) in most things non-T&L. Not that the GF2MX T&L is good enough to be decent at anything anyways=P

Also a move a BX chipset would do you well.

i810 Forever said:
I plan on running the CPU at 2.05v, would an AX-7 & 80mm fan be sufficient (I don't have too much headroom for a monsterous cooler), or would I get more from water cooling? (I have plenty of tubing, pumps available). The case does not have great ventilation so I'd assume having a waterblock connected to a radiator outside the case would work much better.

sorry...the AX-7 is a Monstrous cooler.,...

but here is a good one, a little loud though
http://www.svcompucycle.com/svcgolgat40.html

edit:
Also MospeadasDark reminded me of the KyroII, that should be better than the MX if you can find one...

Change your board, there are a bunch of old bx boards from abit/asus around for approx $35-45 and get yourself a GF2 pro/ultra for about $70-$100 , best bang for your buck, IMO

Back