Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

fan filter

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-09-02, 09:35 PM Thread Starter   #1
rlemieux
Cyber Deal King

10 Year Badge

fan filter

I just installed a fan filter on my Delta 130CFM case fan. It is one like these http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=F-FIL. It virtually stoppes all flow from the fan. To the point that the air starts comming out of the intake side of the fan.

It has a foam insert that comes out. I was thinking about changing it to something that limits flow alot less. Any one have any suggestions on something to use?

Asus Sabertooth x58, Intel Core i7-950, Thermalright IFX-14, Ultra X3 1000watt PSU, 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, 2 x Zotac GTX 465's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB HD's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 1.5TB HD's, 2 Samsung SH-S203B's, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Lian Li PC-75-USB Aluminum Case, Viewsonic 27-inch N2750W LCD TV

Heatware
rlemieux is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-02, 09:40 PM   #2
JFettig
Hey! I showered! Senior

put it on the suck side............

Old 05-09-02, 10:03 PM Thread Starter   #3
rlemieux
Cyber Deal King

10 Year Badge

I have tryed it both ways. It is a minimal if any better performance on the sucking side. I asked for some suggestions on a replacement for the foam that came with it.

Asus Sabertooth x58, Intel Core i7-950, Thermalright IFX-14, Ultra X3 1000watt PSU, 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, 2 x Zotac GTX 465's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB HD's, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 1.5TB HD's, 2 Samsung SH-S203B's, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Lian Li PC-75-USB Aluminum Case, Viewsonic 27-inch N2750W LCD TV

Heatware
rlemieux is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-02, 11:03 PM   #4
stool

10 Year Badge

Thats crap foam they sent you if it stops all air flow. Try using an airconditioner replacement filter. Buy one, and you'll have replacement material for a lifetime. In the meantime, I'd be complaining to Coolerguys about the stuff they sent you.

BTW others will probably recommend nylon stockings stretched very thin, if you are so inclined.

Old 05-10-02, 01:42 AM   #5
CrystalMethod
Senior Band Wagon Jumper

10 Year Badge

You may actually be feeling the suction of the fan. It sometimes feels like it's blowing in the wrong direction. To quickly find out if this is the case, take a thin piece of material (reciept, tissue paper, etc...), and put it close to the intake of the fan. If it gets pulled onto or towards the fan, then it's the vacuum the fan is creating that you're feeling. If it blows away from the fan, then you don't have proper airflow through your case, or it isn't exausting the air it's pulling in properly.

CrystalMethod is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool