• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh boy! Click of death!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I'm feeling rather lucky right now. I just installed a borrwed HD in my comp, and when I tried to boot up, I got a click of death right as Gnome was about to finish loading.
I've narrowed it down to my hda6 partition (which was mapped to /home) and another that has my MP3s on it (mp3s are backed up happily).
I reinstalled Mandrake on my friend's HD (all 8.6 GB, w00t!), and I'm trying to salvage my old /home directory on the working HD. It's kinda strange trying to copy my files while constantly hearing that click of death.
Yippee! I get a new HD (too bad I have to pay for it).
I've got most everything out of my old /home directory, and will probably copy my mp3s before retire the Deathclickstar. Then when I get the new HD, I'll copy everything else off the IBM Deskscar, and use it for target practice.

Alright, I guess my question is this: is this the best thing to do in my situation? Also, how can I restore my old settings? Would I just log in under a different username and copy everything back into the home directory?
Thanks,
IM

kevmarks said:
click of death? Whats that?

You'll know it if you hear it. It's a scratchy clicking noise that dying hard drives (and some zip drives) make when they try to read certian sectors. Thankfully, it hasn't killed my whole HD yet, but I've got another one on the way.

So that's what that damn noise is. It's been happening on mine for about a month or so. I'll just make sure I don't store my webserver on their :)

Hmm...

I've heard that on an old 120MB I have. Once, I turned it on, and it made a hella loud noise, so I turned it off and didn't mess with it for a while.

Then, a few months ago, I slapped it in my 486, so it could crunch SETI. It developed a bad sector, right on top of the single WU that's cached on the machine... but scandisk saved it.

It's worked fine ever since.

eep

*runs to CopmpUSA for CDRs*

I've been hearing this metallic clunking sound occasionally, and I have 20+gigs of irreplaceable files (ST:TOS recordings)

Hmmmm. I hope I'm not doing the Chicken Little here. Hold off on the freakout until I confirm that this is really the Click of Death.

"Deathstar" shouldn't be hard to remember. It's killed my OS twice.

Looks like I'm not the only one to have the click of death with a GV60 40GB IBM HD. The company I bought it from is gone though, so I'm may be stuck with it.
IBM's site is slow right now, but it's certainly worth a shot to get an RMA on this thing.

hmm, my old WD Linux drive clicks loudly here and there, but occasionally.

lickily i have nothing important on there, im just trying new things:)

-Malakai

I just got that about a month ago with a Maxtor drive. It didnt click long, 1 time actually, it went "click" then nothing, died right there. Lucky for my i had a 3 yr warranty on it from the store i bought it from :) Im glad i spent that extra 30$ for it.

Back