• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stormer

i know i have seen many questions similar to the ones i am about to ask, but truthfully everything is so scattered and I get confused :) before I ask the questions I want to first say, I have learned alot from this forum and it defintely helped me make the choices for my system components for my future system.

I am about to purchase a 1.8a and a p4s533 mobo, however as I have seen in several threads how good is the heat sink + fan given with the retail box? Some ppl are saying the heat sink and fan given in the box is amazing while others are suggesting better ones? How good is it really heh :) I plan on trying to get my 1.8A to an ideal OC of 2.4ghz hopefully and i would gladly settle for 2.2. Another question I have is with the thermal paste since this is my first system I am building is there some sort of paste given with the retail box? or do i have to buy some of that AS3 ppl speak so highly of. Thirdly i have read that package date matters, some cpu's at a certain date OC better than others. And if this is the case can i just ask the person at the store to just look at the box? or would I have to look at the cpu itself to see the date? and what are some good dates for 1.8a as I have only seen dates for good OC for the 1.6A cpu. Lastly whats with this vpin mod I have been reading about, do I have to do it if I just want to achieve 2.4ghz with this mobo?

Ahh i now realize this post doesnt fit the thread topic too well "quick question" thanks for reading it all.

the retail cooler should be fine for 2.4, but it may be running a little hot for your comfort.....i would suggest you invest in a Volcano 7+ that will keep your chip happy :).....

if you do choose the retail cooler, it would be suggested that you lap off the thermal pad that comes with it and apply some AS3 because the Intel thermal pad is crap....

how about this one
AVC Sunflower ? that works with this cpu right?

the volcano is a bit pricey here.. where as the sunflower is half does it perform just as well?

also from what i have been reading the malyasia cpus' are better oc, how can i tell where it was manufactured does it say on the front of the box or something

I have a 1.8a with a retail fan and got it overclockeded to 2160mhz it is running at the highest piont 48 C. The fan may not be that good but u dont need a good fan cause the northwood runs cool. Itll be keep it cool enough for a 2.4 Ghz overclock

ok cool can someone answer the question about how i know where the chip was manufactured or is it just on the box

Back