• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interior case painting/scheme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Istari1

Ok, so I'm starting my summer project of converting a VERY old server case (like not even AT standard) into my new case for my main rig and my watercooling setup. This thing was all rusted inside som I figured I would just sand it all away, but I cant get a good even color, like that metal is very blotchy even though it feels smooth as can be. SO I decided to just paint the inside but I need to know if I need a special paint...do I still prime this bare metal? Also I am going to paint the outside black, but I cant think of a good color for the inside. . .I may just go black on black. Thanks all.

Yeah, you'll need to prime it before the color coat. Newer cases are painted inside (many of them are anyway) just with silver paint, so it doesn't look like it is. The old ones are just plain steel mostly.

I'd take it out into the driveway with a bucket of hot soapy water and a new scotchbrite pad first. Scrub it up really well...prepwork is the foundation for the best paint jobs!
Towel dry it with a smooth towel (like a shop towel, or and old piece of bed sheet...no lint). Waterspots left behind won't take paint well. I used my wet/dry shop vacuum to dry out all the nooks and crannies.

I painted my first watercooled rig's chassis OSHA Blue. I also think white would be a good choice to help keep the dark corners 'not so dark'. The darkest corners are where dropped screws and jumpers like to hide. Paint the inside of the door too, so your choice of lighting will be more efficient.

Have a great one!

you might look for some metal etching primer to prime it with, ME primer actually "etches" itself into the metal, for better adherence, so there's less chance of the paint flaking later on.

Hmm.. white on black...maybe. i was thinking maybe a real bright red, but that may be too drastic. I am sanding (up to 600 grit) every metal surface on the chassis of the case so the scotchbriht wont be needed right?

Well, yes and no. The cleaning I suggested is as much for metal surface prep as it is for removing any old oils and fingerprints etc... The 600 grit is great for making sure the paint sticks, but the scotchbrite will grab any leftover grit and crud after the sanding job.

Rinse, dry very well, and prime.

Ahh Ok..now I'm confused..you mean the scotchbrite SOS pads with the detergent in thm then? Never thought of those. I have a while before I'll be ready to paint. I got lots of cutting to do, I figure you paint last, after all the cuts have been made. I'm thinking maybe just do black on black, I think white would look a bit odd, maybe I'll just gloss it silver, although then the point of painting it seems kinda null since no one will even really know...shrug.

I was refering to the green scouring pads, but now that you mention it, the SOS pads would work great too! And no need for the soapy bucket of water either, though hot water would help.

It sounds like you have a nice rig comming! Attention to the details makes alot of difference in the finished product.

I am hoping it does turn out well Diggr thanks. This case is so retro its awesome, really the painting will be the easy part, cutting the atx standard holes in the back and such and making the MB fit will be difficult. Hopefully I will get a digital camera sometime soon and I can take some "before" shots so people will see how hard I worked on it and how much better it looks.

Back