• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are some good system stabilty tests?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jared555

I just overclocked my computer from 999mhz(why not a full 1000?) to 1127 mhz. now I just need a good way to make sure I didnt make my already wanting to crash constantly because of lack of memory computer crash more... (I dont care if it does it once more a week just as long as not constantly). What is a good program to test with?(freely downloadable from the web. at least a demo)

3dMark2001 (www.madonion.com)
SuperPi (you'll have to do a google search, i dunno)
Folding@Home (see F@H thread)

i'll let some other ppl add some more :p

There's alot to choose from!

wow. everything you listed I already have. havent tried yet but they are on my comp :)
I am trying 3dmark now...

thanks

Jared555 said:
I just overclocked my computer from 999mhz(why not a full 1000?) to 1127 mhz. now I just need a good way to make sure I didnt make my already wanting to crash constantly because of lack of memory computer crash more... (I dont care if it does it once more a week just as long as not constantly). What is a good program to test with?(freely downloadable from the web. at least a demo)

Yeah electronics stores are always cheating you out of a few megahertz, or a few meg, or a few bytes. It adds up, I tell ya ;)

333 is 333 but for some reason for PR they didn't think the 666 was a nice number and changed it to 667. 999, well, that only looks good in car sales, so they have to rough that to 1 gig. Hard drives always measure their drive sizes in millions of bytes and a "60" gig drive usually runs a few gig lower because of that. 56k modem that only runs at around 52. The list goes on...

*******s... hehehe

But anyway, most of the above tests are pretty good. Make sure you do a variety of tests, tho. If you want to test CPU stability alone, do folding or PI or prime95. If you're testin video leave 3dMark on for several loops. For RAM, try looping softsandra. And if you're feeling adventurous try running a running a game, 3kdmark, folding, and maybe a few office aps at the same time. Leave it on for a good 6 hours or so...and you'll see how *really* stable your system is.

LOL. thanks for the help guys. hrmm you dont want to know what score I got on 3dmark at 800x600 res 16bit color... 1300(about) 3dmarks. I may acually be increasing the score...

Jared555 said:
I have ran toast for 3 1/2 hours straight... is that good enough?

yeah your cpu is probably stable...you may want to loop 3dmark over and over again like 50 times to test whole systemwide stability...

my next problem is... frame rates. on 3d mark they are 20 on the first test and 12 on the 2nd... I get frame rates of 50 max in quake. it doesnt wanna go above that. doesnt change when I lower settings down. and my frame rate is around 20-30 in nascar 2002 when there isnt a ton of cars flying through the air :) then they go down to about 5-10 when there is all 42 cars on screen.
my screen refresh rate is 100hz. doesnt like changing resolutions that well either LOL.

any way to improve frame rates?(I am not doing the multiplyer unlock tricks... so I cannot overclock further)

What operating system are you running? Download Riva and do a little playing around with it. Also post what vid card as there is a large assortment here and there is bound to be someone who can be of assistance.

the best stability program for your CPU is Folding@home. It'll put 100% load on your cpu. Plus you'll be doing something positive and worthwhile. Anyway if you want to find out what it is go over to the Folding@home section of this forum

Prime95 Torture Testing and Toast High Priority straight up.

These put out the most load together. They give your CPU more of a load than SETI or Folding...

Yodums

I use folding usually, as it will be running all the time anyway - www.overclockers.ws - and I use toast to really put the system under strain. Or even better - both at once.

I was only using toast at normal priority so I could move the mouse :). I just have left it on overnight. 15 hours. temps of 37 C which is good considering that is an increase of 2 degrees C.
I will just list most of my system stuff(that would be of use)
Pentium 3 1GHZ
Gigabyte GA 6VX7B-4X motherboard
ATI Xpert 2000
320 megs of ram
80 gig western digital hard drive
20 gig western digital hard drive(used in another comp for two years)

Jared555 said:
I was only using toast at normal priority so I could move the mouse :). I just have left it on overnight. 15 hours. temps of 37 C which is good considering that is an increase of 2 degrees C.
I will just list most of my system stuff(that would be of use)
Pentium 3 1GHZ
Gigabyte GA 6VX7B-4X motherboard
ATI Xpert 2000
320 megs of ram
80 gig western digital hard drive
20 gig western digital hard drive(used in another comp for two years)

Yea, the high priority just kills the system :D

I have it @ high right now testing, and I can barely surf, feels like a P166.

Give it another 10 hours for a 24hour check, and then you're officially stable. You can keep burning in with SETI or Folding, since they contribute to science.

the best way to test it IMO is to run prime 95 torture test
and surf the web and be on MSN and do as much multi
taking as possible. stress your PC as much as possible
just to make sure.

I cannot download a working copy of the 3DMark2001 program. I have downloaded it 4-5 times from different mirror sites. Every time a try to install it. The program says that it cannot install, the file is corrupted. Does anyone know a site I can download from?

Thanks

Back