Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

new rig

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-12-02, 04:47 PM Thread Starter   #1
RnPgrosz

new rig

I just fired up my new rig,it was just a test because I don't have my new psu yet. The general specs are xp1700+,epox8k3a+, lian lipc71, gf4 ti4400 and an ax-7 with 68cfm delta. First off the delta was way too loud. My mom could hear it wine from the kitchen so I will get a rheostat. I attempted to unlock the cpu and it kind of works. Seems like I can only change between 11x and 8x, but I will try to unlock again. My temps were hovering around 32C, do you think thats normal? Anyway everything seems pretty good so far and I love the Geforce 4 Tomorrow when I get my antec 550 watt psu I will try some more.
RnPgrosz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-12-02, 06:16 PM   #2
Über~PhLuBB
Jedi Knight Senior

10 Year Badge

Re: new rig

Quote:
Originally posted by rnpgrosz
I just fired up my new rig,it was just a test because I don't have my new psu yet. The general specs are xp1700+,epox8k3a+, lian lipc71, gf4 ti4400 and an ax-7 with 68cfm delta. First off the delta was way too loud. My mom could hear it wine from the kitchen so I will get a rheostat. I attempted to unlock the cpu and it kind of works. Seems like I can only change between 11x and 8x, but I will try to unlock again. My temps were hovering around 32C, do you think thats normal? Anyway everything seems pretty good so far and I love the Geforce 4 Tomorrow when I get my antec 550 watt psu I will try some more.
There was a warning on the main page about people turning $80 heatsinks into $20 heatsinks because of noise. You should have done more research and gone with a quieter rig instead of dumbing down the cooling power with a rheo because the noise is unbearable.

6GB Muskin DDR3-1600 / Enermax 720W PSU
300GB WD Velociraptor / SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
2x eVGA GTX 280 SLI / Samsung 2233rz
Anything worth stealing is worth paying for.
Über~PhLuBB is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-12-02, 06:32 PM   #3
RedDeathDrinker
Senior Aircraftsman IRL

There are alternatives to Delta screamers.......

I run an 80mm Sunon fan on my Alpha heatsink, but the quietest fans to go for would be something like Papst fans.

I've noticed a new breed of overclocker emerging these days, the quiet type. Dedicated to o/cing like the rest of us, but doing it quietly with air cooling (before all you H2O freaks start!). Zalman Flower heatsinks and Papst fans seem the quiet way to go......

RedDeathDrinker is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-12-02, 08:02 PM   #4
LoRDhYpNOs
Registered

Ya i "dumbed" down my HSF to the one off my old stock heatsink.I could bear the sound of 6800 rpm anymore lol.
LoRDhYpNOs is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-12-02, 08:08 PM Thread Starter   #5
RnPgrosz

Re: Re: new rig

Quote:
Originally posted by Über~PhLuBB

There was a warning on the main page about people turning $80 heatsinks into $20 heatsinks because of noise. You should have done more research and gone with a quieter rig instead of dumbing down the cooling power with a rheo because the noise is unbearable.
Relax man, I have done research. I knew how loud the fan was before I got it. I will either 7volt the fan or get a rheostat, neither of these things will decrease performance significantly. I'm not the only person using a delta 68cfm or 80cfm anyway. And also this wasn't a $80 heatsink Uber Phlubb, it was actually closer to $20($27+$10 for fan)$37, so I think this heatsink was a bargain considering its the currently the best performing heatsink available I think I have done plenty of research and made a good choice. And BTW I will gladly listen to input and advice but you don't have to be mean about it.
Old 05-12-02, 08:10 PM   #6
Über~PhLuBB
Jedi Knight Senior

10 Year Badge

Re: Re: Re: new rig

Quote:
Originally posted by rnpgrosz

Relax man, I have done research. I knew how loud the fan was before I got it. I will either 7volt the fan or get a rheostat, neither of these things will decrease performance significantly. I'm not the only person using a delta 68cfm or 80cfm anyway. And also this wasn't a $80 heatsink Uber Phlubb, it was actually closer to $20($27+$10 for fan)$37, so I think this heatsink was a bargain considering its the currently the best performing heatsink available I think I have done plenty of research and made a good choice. And BTW I will gladly listen to input and advice but you don't have to be mean about it.
I wasn't being mean or condescenting, sorry if it sounded that way. I was just saying there's an article on the main page about how people buy Swiftys and turn them into Coolermasters. Not mad or spiteful, just informative. =)

6GB Muskin DDR3-1600 / Enermax 720W PSU
300GB WD Velociraptor / SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
2x eVGA GTX 280 SLI / Samsung 2233rz
Anything worth stealing is worth paying for.
Über~PhLuBB is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-12-02, 08:22 PM Thread Starter   #7
RnPgrosz

Uber Phlubb I'm sorry if I took your post the wrong way. I just got upset because I have been putting so much time into researching which parts to get and that kind of stuff. BTW I did see that article. Sorry about that.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.