• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to watercooling???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't you need a 120mm fan anyways? I"m not too knowledgeable about watercooling. I think I heard that somewhere...

Many people use 120mm fans on their heatercores or radiators, but you can use other fans, I will be using 2 80mm and 2 92mm fans on mine,

Its possible to do it without any fans by using huge reservoirs and/or large radiators....

Most though do use a fan or two... But since they're using only 1 120mm fan instead of many louder, smaller fans the noise is still dramatically less.

Such as my air cooled system right now... Its got a 54.5dB hsf and 2 other fans which probably each generate about 30dB or more.

The water cooling system that I'll be building in two weeks will have one 120mm 23dB fan.

The watercooled system should be at least 6-8 times quieter...

Im using a varient of the bong system, with one small fan. I cant hear the fan at all and the water makes a trickling sound, not too noticable. Using the in socket temps hover around high 30s to low 40s.

Water cooling has it's advantages, such as much more efficient heat disposal and lower noise (depending on the fan setup). It all depends on what your priorities with your comp are.

I think that watercooling is very worth it, especially if you have the money to put into a decent one. As of right now, i am in the process of upgrading my pc to watercooling. So good luck with yours :beer:and keep us posted if you do decide to try.

How about a homemade kit. When you say homemade do you mean getting raw metal and milling your own block? Sure that is fun, but it is far easier to buy the components you need, and assemble them into your system.

In my system (just started to build a res.) I am going to be using water blocks made by danger den, but i am going to get my pump and radiator elseware.

my system is almost silent, and my temps are around 24idle and 28 load max

and sometimes you get better performance out of homemade stuff, like my block is a better performer than other blocks,
im using the big rez with a quiet fan on it... very quiet 80mm fan,

only have 5 other fans in my system and im planning on taking most of them out.... and replacing the chipset and gpu with waterblocks soon

edit: on yea, its DEFENITELY worth it! if you have skills make your own stuff, you get much more sadisfaction out of it(my opinion) unless you screw up a lot of stuff...

Pump - 25
Heatercore - 20
Waterblock - 45
Hose - 18
=$108

and that would be for a simple system

Pump - 45
Heatercore - 20
Waterblock - 45
NB Cooler - 35
GPU Cooler - 35
Hose - 18
=198

for a more complex system

So basicly it would cost $115-$250 depending on what you do with it.

what im running rite now costed around 30 bucks

homemade wb about 4 bucks for materials
holddown hardware 5bucks
maxijet 1200 25shipped
hose 3 bucks
big rubbermaid tub, laying around the house
28c load priceless

37bucks

I think I'm going to seriously consider going to water cooling. Does any of this take up more resources than air cooling (for instance, electricity)?

Pumps take some power (~10W), as does the fan to cool the radiator, but it is negligible to the total power expenditure of the entire computer.

Alright, so it's not a "big" power thing? I have $85. Should I wait and save up, or could I go for something now? I'm thinking I'm going to be a caddy in the summer, but that's at least a month...

Back