• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with IRQs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grifty186

I have a feeling that I'm having problems with my audio card and video card IRQs conflicting. My computer randomly jams up for no reason, and I must turn off my computer. I have a custom AMD AthlonXP 1500+ with an ECS K7S5A motherboard, 128MB SDRAM, NVIDIA TNT2 32MB AGP and a Phillips Rythmic Edge sound card. My computer doesn't jam up when I remove the audio. Both the video and sound are running on IRQ 12 with nothing else except an ACPI IRQ holder. My mother doesn't support manually changing IRQs in the bios so it just does them automatically, but no matter what I try I cannot get them off the same one. I read somewhere that since I can't change the IRQs in the BIOS and I have an ACPI operating system that I can manually change them there. How do I go about doing that? In the resources tab for each device, it doesn't let me change the IRQ for a device. I uncheck "Use Automatic Settings". Please help as it's kinda hard to use a computer that jams up randomly. Thanks.

*Grifty

I've tried that...

I've tried doing that before many times, but my BIOS just keeps on switching the video and sound to the same IRQs. I can't think of anything else to try. Pleeez help. Thanks

If you have any serial or parallel ports that you aren't using, disable them in the BIOS - you'd be amazed at how many IRQs you can free up. Also check in the motherboard manual for an IRQ map ... this will tell you which PCI slots share an IRQ and with which device. Knowing this, you can rearrange your PCI cards (like Oni suggested) and other devices so that your PC begins to do what you tell it...since you don't have the option to assign IRQ's manually in the BIOS. ;)

Last edited:
I GOT IT!

yayayay! i disabled the ACPI option in my bios and turn off "PnP Aware OS"... my computer no longer locks up. it must have been a conflict between one of those two options and my sound or video card. i don't get it, but at least my computer works and i have that for future reference. thanks for the top on disabling serials ports, it helped free up some IRQs. my audio and video are still running on the same IRQ but they don't seem to conflict anymore. hmmm... I might try switching around the cards too to see if i can get them off the same IRQ, but i think i've tried that before but my system still puts the audio and video on the same IRQ, weird phenonemon but i'm just glad my system works so well now. thanks for the help!

Back