• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! how do i install winXP pro after reformating?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elder

i feel so dump..reformated/reinstalled win98se so many times i cant count...started down the same path with the full version of winxp pro( not the "upgrade")...so ive reformated but when i boot from my windows98 boot disk and type "setup" (with the xp cd in) i get the message "cannot boot from this drive" or somthing lke that...so....how the heck do i install xp from on a freshly formated HD?

Set your bios to boot from your cd-rom. Insert your XP cd into the drive and restart your machine. follow the commands. Good luck.
No boot disk required.

If that doesn't work, I know that the OEM version has a file called "WINNT" in one of the folders, I think it's the setup folder. If you can find this on your copy (retail I assume) then it will allow you to do full install from a DOS prompt.

Hope my first post is of help.

A.S

the XP CD does not work like the 98/Me CD. You have to boot from the XP CD. There is no need for the Windows98 boot disk at all. If you do need to boot from the Windows98 CD for any reason, don't type setup at the prompt. Type X: (X being your cd drive letter). Then type cd i386. Then type winnt. This will copy the install files to your HDD, so you can boot off the HDD instead of the CD.

If you install from the command prompt you should copy smartdrv.exe to the newly formatted hard drive. Execute smartdrv before instalation it'll save alot of time.:D

Back