• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newby overclocking celeron1A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsang

Registered
my system:
celeron1A
asusTUV4X
256 pc133 sdram
gf2 pro

it's my first time overclocking, and i havn't equip my computer with any cooling device. last nite i went into the bios and start increasing the 100fsb. when it goes to 1100mhz which i think the fsb is 110, the computer freezes on me once i got into win2000 and opened photoshop. although i am just using the fan that comes in the retail box of the cpu, the tempature stays at around 40c, which i guess it's fine.
i see many ppl can get the celeron1A to at least 1400mhz. mine just goes up to 1100mhz and it crashes. did i do something wrong? pls help. thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

Most of those people were able to overclock that chip with the help of a voltage modification done to the chip to increase the default voltage (read the sticky at the top of this forum for the how-to). Also, most of the tA1 chips start hitting the stability barrier in the low 40C's, so you are borderline on your temp. A better HS is definately required for the voltage mod.

i would say its your temperatures, most 1As dont get unstable with good cooling until you hit 1.3+.....mine starts getting unstable at around 43-44C....

problems with TUV4X

ic
so 40c is the barrier for celeron1A
i shall work on tempature control a bit more
can u suggest me with some good fan brand names? and is the thermal grease necessary?

one more thing is that i couldnt change the voltage coz my motherboard doesn't provide that option. is there another way to modify the voltage?

thks

Re: problems with TUV4X

tsang said:
ic
so 40c is the barrier for celeron1A
i shall work on tempature control a bit more
can u suggest me with some good fan brand names? and is the thermal grease necessary?

one more thing is that i couldnt change the voltage coz my motherboard doesn't provide that option. is there another way to modify the voltage?

thks

I figured! You are using the retail HS with the thermal pad? Yeah what I would say is get rid of the pad and go with some thermal paste. You should then be able to hit 133fsb at least with retail sink. Actually you should be able to with that pad too but if you start increasing vcore then you may not be able to. Those retail HS's are not that good. I would also look into getting a better HS. Look at our round up here. The switech mcxc-370 is good as also the thermal take AX7. The AX7 may be too big for your mobo though!

Hi,

It just seems so strange that a Celly1.0A can not do 110 FSB... even with retail heatsink!!, that I would check for some other things also :

- I would recheck your PSU (capacity and 5v and 12v rail lines)

- I would make sure to use conservative memory settings.. and only 1 stick (in case you have 2). Note that last time I had something similar it was memory!! Yes, I had 2 sticks of PC133 that do not like to run together overclocked at cas2.

- I would make sure everything seats OK in its slot/socket.

- And, of course, as suggested, remove the thermal pad and put some paste. ... But note : I have run with factory HS a 1.0A at frequencies up to 1.4Ghz and 1.625volts, so ... I much beleive that at this point it is NOT the HS that is holding you back.

Regards
FTC

Arctic Silver thermal paste will make a big difference. I wish people would quit telling the newbies that the retail coolers are ok, because they are not.... they suck. Just look at any heatsink comparison and review to learn that. When overclocking, cooling is everything. Heat is the enemy.

thks

hey thks for the input ppl
i think what i'll do now is to get the grease first
and try again with the retail fan
although i think it is my sdrams' problem. i have 2 sticks of pc133 128 sdram of different brand and i think they dont like the new clock speed.
so if it still doesn't work after i put on the grease, i'll just wait until i get a new computer and oc that one.
thks again:)

One would think that PC-133 RAM should be able to run at least up to 133 FSB. But, sometimes multiple sticks of RAM don't play well together. Try using just one stick at a time and see what happens and then switch it for the other stick and try that one. Maybe even try installing the RAM into different DIMM slots. Most motherboards don't like all of the memory slots populated either.

I really suspect you need better cooling and then once you have that under control, you'll probably need to increase the vcore a little in order to stabilize your system at higher overclocked speeds.

thks
i totally understand and agree with what u r saying
my last problem would be the vcore. i can't adjust it coz my motherboard doesn't allow me to do that.
i am using asusTUV4X.
is there any other way i can change the vcore? may be with some kind of software?

Are you sure? I thought those Asus mobos had adjustable vcore? There is always the VID pin wire wrap trick once you have better cooling.

tsang said:
my last problem would be the vcore. i can't adjust it coz my motherboard doesn't allow me to do that.

i agree you should get the voltages available in the bios, anyway check if you have the JUMPER FREE mode enabled in the mainboard. you can do that checking in the mobos manual then in the mainboard itself. be sure you set it to the jumper free mode.

Back