• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iron Hawk's Watercooling Journey

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iron Hawk

After talking about watercooling with my father, he has finaly given in to letting me take the plunge. One of his biggest concerns was that if there was a leak, I would stain my carpet. So I have designed a resavoir that will sit under my case, and act as a collection bin if there was a leak.

I have made this resivoir out of wood, with all of the edges on the inside caulked. Inside the wooden box I have a plastic storage container that will be the actualy resavoir with a 700 GPH Danner MagDrive pump inside.

I will post pictures when I get home from school tomorrow.

...But a couple of coats on the inside of the box with any glossy color of Rustoleum spray paint would make it water tight, as long as you used a paintable caulk. (DAP in the squeeze tube is cheap)

I would offer you an alternative. An insulated Thermos or Coleman cooler is already watertight, and comes in a variety of sizes.

stool said:
I would offer you an alternative. An insulated Thermos or Coleman cooler is already watertight, and comes in a variety of sizes.

the best part, when you get thirsty, use the tap on it.

now if you could set up a liquid cooling unit to run off :beer: that wpuld be cool. especially during LANs or if you're having a party in general.

I will not me using the wood as the actual resavoir, but as a nice looking spot to house the resavoir, and to act as a back-up if ther was a leak.

How big is the plastic res? The mag drives pretty big...

The res will be outside your case, yes?

Paint the inside of the wood with epoxy paint, and silicone the corners.

That will make it 100% watertight, I wouldn't trust anything else to make wood watertight (except something involving more trouble...)

Yeah, epoxy paint is what some boat builders use, though latex housepaint has been getting a good rap as a cheap alternative lately. Depends whether you want your boat to last 15 or 50 years. So exterior latex is probably good enough for that application, and there's a chance you'll get some for free from somewhere, either out the garage or from a a neighbour etc.

Road Warrior

holy smizack? youd better have big tubing, did u check how much heat that pump outputs?

mine outputs 45w, anything more than that i wouldnt mess with, especially because your not gonna be able to get near that much water through 1/2inch tubes. that pump is gonna get really warm, and be LOUD!

my 500gph pumps MAD water through it, there is no way you would need more than 500gph

even that is a little overkill i suspect, but it gets me incredible temps

-Malakai

As promised here are the pics, I havent gotten around to staining the wood yet, but that is not a priority.

Malakai said:
holy smizack? youd better have big tubing, did u check how much heat that pump outputs?

mine outputs 45w, anything more than that i wouldnt mess with, especially because your not gonna be able to get near that much water through 1/2inch tubes. that pump is gonna get really warm, and be LOUD!

my 500gph pumps MAD water through it, there is no way you would need more than 500gph

even that is a little overkill i suspect, but it gets me incredible temps

-Malakai

Hmm... Thanks for pointing that out to me. It looks like the #7 puts out 60watts!! I am going to go look at stats for some other pumps, but I would really like to have a 500+ GPH pump.

id get the 500gph Danner, its nice:)

and your using 1/2in tubing right? 3/8 cant handle that much flow, it will create too much backpressure and heat the pump up too much.

-Malakai

Yes 1/2 inch tubing. I am now considering running two MaxiJet 1200 Pumps in parallel, second choice is the #5 :)

Go ehiem

They may not have the flow rates of the danner but there quite and cool plus they "Touching wood now" dont break down.
Ive got an ehiem 1250 its pumping the water about 2ms + in height and cooling my XP1600 nicely.
Just my 2 pence :)..

Plus i love your little box....
People above say wood isnt water tight but dont they make boats out of it. LOL my oldys Yacht seems to float pretty well.

I should be ordering my the rest of the stuff tonight. Maze3, GPU block, NB block, Chevette Heatercore, and Maxijet1200 pump.

Back