• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nibbler warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stool

I recently cut a window in a new case, and as I wanted to eliminate molding, I used a nibbler from the 'Shack that I have had for some time. At the start, everything went nice and smooth, although time-consuming. By the time I got to the final side, the nibbler had dulled to the point that instead of nice smooth cuts, it was pushing and breaking the metal, creating ripples bad enough that I had to use molding anyway. Just a caution, the nibbler is OK for small projects like fan holes, or for perhaps a one-time window cut, but they do wear out somewhat quickly.

stool said:
I recently cut a window in a new case, and as I wanted to eliminate molding, I used a nibbler from the 'Shack that I have had for some time. At the start, everything went nice and smooth, although time-consuming. By the time I got to the final side, the nibbler had dulled to the point that instead of nice smooth cuts, it was pushing and breaking the metal, creating ripples bad enough that I had to use molding anyway. Just a caution, the nibbler is OK for small projects like fan holes, or for perhaps a one-time window cut, but they do wear out somewhat quickly.

forgive me if i sound stupid because i have never used a nibler, but is it possible to sharpen one??

You probably could sharpen one, but from the looks of the one I have, you can change the "nibble" part on the top. However, Radio Shack says they don't have a replacement part, so I am at a loss as to where to get one.

FireMogle, that is what happened to me when the thing got dull.

I find a jigsaw to be the easyest fastest way for cutting all my fan holes. I tryed the dremel blades but they broke too fast and I am not pationt enough to cut a hole that slow.

That's for the head's up man, I was thinking of getting one. I'm just gonna borrow a friends plasma torch I think.

A nibbler is a tool that takes small "bites" out of metal. When new and sharp, it can do very clean cuts, in any pattern. Its an inexpensive, manual way of cutting metal. There are air-powered and electrical nibblers, but they can be quite expensive. They look like this;
64-823.jpg

Once you get the hang of using one, you'd be amazed at how neat the cuts are. They usually require little or no filing.

Back