• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on a Micro ATX cruncher

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuper

Hey,

I am going to be building a micro ATX computer for my mom and was wondering which Cpu chips run the coolest and still yield good times with respect to crunching? I would like to be in the 6 hour or less range but any advice would be GREAT!!

Here are some things I would like -

1) Decent Cruncher
2) Quiet
3) DDR Memory or the Rambus (fast)

Oh ya - any good advice on the motherboad? I don't need anything stellar. Something with onboard LAN/Vid/Audio would be great!! Don't think I am going to overclock but you never know!!! :D:D:D

I have an 800 Celeron at my office. It'll crunch a typical WU in about 10 to 11 hours. The only fan in the box is in the PSU, so it just sits next to my desk nice and quiet and crunches all day long without my intervention. With SETI Driver on the "low priority" setting, I practically never know SETI is keeping the machine busy. So that seems like a good place to start.

1 GHz Duron on an Epox Micro ATX Mobo would be nice. I am upgrading my old Celeron Micro ATX with the Epox mobo and an 1800 XP. I am not to worried about temps. Sorry I can't remember the model of the Epox but surf the site you should find a nice board there they make serveral nice Micro ATX boards.

Intel P3 or Celeron Tualatin for sure...

The Northwood run ok with retail coolers as well (Lots are being used to even overclock).

I would go for the 1ghz duron as well but the Gigabyte 7VRXP has onboard lan/audio w/KT333 chipset. I just bought one and let me tell ya.. Very Very happy! (and it looks cool to boot~!)

Durons w/ DDR crunch well and are very reasonably priced.

One other thing you may want to check out is the newly released Celeron 1.7 which sells for 83$ and fits in P4 slot and can be used with rambus. Looks like Intel wants to take back the entry-level market once again.

good luck!

klear said:
One other thing you may want to check out is the newly released Celeron 1.7 which sells for 83$ and fits in P4 slot and can be used with rambus. Looks like Intel wants to take back the entry-level market once again.

Personally, I think that with the 128L2 cache and the old inefficent Willy design, you'd probably be better off with a Celly 1.0A or 1.1A, which can easily hit 133-145FSB with decent cooling. If you want P4 architecture, go with a 1.6A which will also hit high FSBs with either DDR or rambus.

The Duron/DDR combo would also be a good, cheap choice.

micro ATX and DDR is tough on an AMD platform atm
if you want cool and fast
Durons 1ghz+ are the go
or a p4 1.6a if you can afford it

either way youll want DDR

WOW, thanks for the replys. I am still doing some reaserch!

THANKS!

the durons 1ghz+ are the coolest running of all amd cpu's
(cept maybe the new Tbreds)
p3's run cool but are slow at seti
p4 northwoods are fast but run as hot as durons

my duron 1.2 runs with a very quiet heatsink crunching 24/7

plus if its in a stack it will have good "case" cooling

Back