• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Painting front bezel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Istari1

Ok guys so I am painting this huge old server all black I decided (Actually I'm gonna go with blue inside and black outside). I'm goona try to do the best job can on the panels (as close to that mirror finish as I can). But heres the thing, whats the best way to paint the plastic parts? I am assuming I cant get a mirror shine on plastic...at least not with conventional spray paint (maybe never). So should I use a gloss enamel on the plastic and alot more clear coat? Any advice is welcome.

Use a plastic primer on the plastic parts first. This etches itself into the plastic, providing a secure base for the top coat. To get a really shiny finish, once your paint has dried, apply a few coats of clear laquer to your case.......

i have a neer mirror finish on my front(actualy its for my freind) and its done in red if your using an enamel the you want to get a good GREY primer for the plastic. i recomend grey cus it is easily covered and it also puts down a base darkness... anyways get like 3 coats of primer on there and sand it down to like 600 grit by hand go slowly you dont want to eat off all your primer. then put the layers of paint on just as with anything else and top with 1 layer clear enamel or laquer then use wax.

Oops also, did you sand the plastic any before? Plastic is very rough, so I am assuming you are letting the primer become the new surface and just sanding the primer flat, is that right? Damn..I am going to need alot of primer for this case....

Istari1 said:
Oops also, did you sand the plastic any before? Plastic is very rough, so I am assuming you are letting the primer become the new surface and just sanding the primer flat, is that right? Damn..I am going to need alot of primer for this case....

Yeah, sand it first, then primer, then sand then primer... ect. Untill it's smooth.

yea sand the plastic first dont use anything less than 220 grit or it will rip it up... also wetsand only if you dry sand the plastic it will get hot and melt the surface and it will look crapy

and yes like car wax. i use one made by armorall it works pretty good i wax the entire case including the plastic

Back