• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Short note on how to lower your case temps....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedDeathDrinker

Senior Aircraftsman IRL
Just a short guide on lowering your case temps, from my testing.

I have a standard mid-tower case, no-name brand (only £25!) and a need to get rid of a lot of heat....

How did I go about it? Well, the place to start was the CPU. Hot. Duct it, I said. So I did, and it drew a supply of room temp air directly onto the 80mm YS-Tech fan ontop of my AlphaPAL 8045. That worked, till I moved down to warmer climes......

So now I blow air OUT of my duct, and supply the case with plenty of cool air from the front and back......

Add a PSU mod, replacing the metal cover with a mesh cover, it lowered my PSU temps as well as dropping the overall case temp by 5 degrees Centigrade.

Got a couple of pics at the moment...

Nice PSU mod, very inventive. Maybe use a non conductive mesh though? Hate to see any fine wires get bent and end up touching something in the PSu (yeah its a long shot, but I've seen weirder things happen)

Istari1 said:
Nice PSU mod, very inventive. Maybe use a non conductive mesh though? Hate to see any fine wires get bent and end up touching something in the PSu (yeah its a long shot, but I've seen weirder things happen)

The PSU case (wire mesh included!) is earthed, so any shorting would be earthed. A point to note is that you must ensure that the cage does not touch any of the components inside.......

awesome looking PSU mod. i also like the electrical tape look of
the wires :p

I believe someone did that before..

That is very dangerous, running with an open PSU basically!!!

Nice Alpha BTW, looks farmiliar.. oh right I have it... LOL

Yodums

How'd you do that PSU thing? I need another exhaust and that would up the airflow on my PSU from crap to the full fan CFM rating, something like 35 CFM.

--Illah

i think its unanamous. the psu mods tight... except sittin that close to the cpu, dont you think thats part of your heat problem? a solid piece of metal would sheild your cpu from a lot of heat.

Illah said:
How'd you do that PSU thing? I need another exhaust and that would up the airflow on my PSU from crap to the full fan CFM rating, something like 35 CFM.

--Illah

He put it in some kind of mesh.

Actually what it is rated, isn't what it pushes. All the stuff in the PSU clutters everything up, and the fan won't get that much to move so that's why this mod helps :D

I think it would be cool to build a psu cover in plexiglass or dremel some windows and air holes in the metal box of the psu instead of taking it off completly...haha even put a little neon in there...

once i was thinking of building a case of plexiglass, then taking the metal drive sheilding off and replacing it with plexiglass and the psu and what nots... it would be pretty cool!

Yodums said:

He put it in some kind of mesh.

Actually what it is rated, isn't what it pushes. All the stuff in the PSU clutters everything up, and the fan won't get that much to move so that's why this mod helps :D

Yeah, that's what I said. '...up the airflow from crap...' meant that right now the whatever CFM fan in there is probably only doing 5-10 CFM if even. I can barely feel it sometimes.

How about this. I just take off the cover of the PSU, careful not to touch any capacitors of course, then hack a ghetto hole in there. I'd then cover the hole with an 80mm fan grill or something like it. It wouldn't be a complete wire mesh deal but I think it'll have the same airflow effect, and that's all I really want. I think I'll do that one of these days...

--Illah

I may do the mesh mod on my PSU, only problem is that my Lian Li covers up the side of the PSU so all that you really can see is the bottom :(

Back