• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good, quiet, cheap fan from newegg.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slowmike

i need a fan under $20 from newegg thats quiet yet good for min overclock of a 1800 xp. i was looking at:
Cooler Master CPU FAN CP5-6J31C-01 For AMD/Intel Cpu's Retail Intel: PIII (FC-PGA2) up to 1.6 GHz and higher Celeron up to 1.3 GHz and higher AMD: Athlon up to 1.6 Ghz AthlonXP 2100 Duron 1.2 GHz and higher (FC - PGA) Specifications:
Dimenstions L80 x W60 x H46.85 (mm)
FAN Dimensions 60 x 60 x 13 (mm)
Rated Voltage 12 VDC
Rated Speed 5400 RPM
Air Flow 24.95~27.72 CFM
Noise Level 38~42 dB(A) Model#: DP5-6J31C-01

how loud/quiet is 40 dB?

Well slowmike, its hard to say if 40db is loud or not since people have different levels of "sensitivity" to noise. Personally, I think 40dB is way too loud. But there are others (Delta owners) who can't even hear 40dB (anymore) :D So its a matter of taste/tolerance.

As for the Cooler Master HSF, I wouldn't go for it. Since you are here, then you MUST ( ;) ) be interested in ocing, so you need to keep temps down (below 45 C). That HSF is not going to do it. If you want a good comparison of HSFs then go to the front page and look at the HSF reviews/comparison article. Then look to see how loud and costly each are (starting from the best performance) until one meets your needs. I would stay away from anything with a c/w of 0.35 or higher, but that's me.

Good luck.

40dba is too loud if your looking for quiet fans. I think you would definitely hear that. Overclocking and quiet are two words that really dont mix. (unless ya water cool). So if you OC, dont hold out for quite IMO

If you are looking for quiet HSF's with good performance, try here:

www.millennium-thermal.com

I would have recommended the Original Glaciator at $17.50 + shipping, but they are now all gone (I bought two of them. I couldn't resist the price--especially compared to the GII's). The newer Glaciator II's are $35 and they have some lower noise (and lower performance) versions as well.

now i am thinking of:
Swiftech's MCXC370
GLOBALWIN's CAK-II 38
cooler master HHC-001

how loud is 70 dB? compare is to something.

Jet airplane...

I just bought/sold a 52db fan... you couldn't have a conversation in the same room... and thats mounted inside the case!

As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't go above 35dB.... there are some damn fine Panaflow and SUNON fans out there... I just bought me the SUNON 92mm from newegg and its AMAZING! 48CFM at like 33dB. Can't be beat...

PCMutants has a nice setup they're doing with an OCZ Goliath and a Panaflo U series 80mm. It's 46.9cfm. Works well for being quiet! If you want tons of air, Delta is the only way to go. WARNING you cant have a delta if you have small children in the house. They will wake up when you boot up!

I don't know if its just that I have very sensitive ears or my hard drive is just loud. I have watercooling so I decided to see how quiet I could get my computer by temporarily turning off all the fans (including the PSU fan). After all the fans were off and the computer was running, I heard an annoying high pitched electrical buzz/hum. It was my IBM 45gb 307045 hard drive. The computer seemed more annoying with the fans off then with them on /sigh. It seems as if you can't win no matter what fans/setup you have :rolleyes:

You can always try the rheostat route. By hooking up a rheostat you can slow it down when you're idling (surfing the web) or speed it up when you're killing monsters (you're too busy to hear anything).

I you want to stick with Cooler Master the HHC seems to perform well. It spretty cheap too. Around here (bay Area) its 30$.
Some of the Cooler Master fans are Deltas and can get pretty LOUD!

anyone think that it would be ok for me to build the temp control for the fan on a 1800 xp?

right now i'm thinking of getting :
#1-Swiftech's MCXC370-0a
#2- cooler master HHC-001
#2B-GLOBALWIN's CAK-II 38
whats the difference of .34, .35, AND .39C/W?

ok, then which of these in quality, performance, better mounting device.

cooler master HHC-001
GLOBALWIN's CAK-II 38

A temperature control for the CPU fan is OK, except it won't buy you much....and...you must be very careful setting it up so that the fan starts in time. The only thing the heat control will buy you is quiet when the CPU is idling. Even small activity will heat up an Athalon.

Sparks!!!!!!

I went to Radio Shack (First mistake) and got a liner rheostat (150ohms) rated for 400watts (Not speaker power)
Hooked it up and as I adjusted it. There I was getting sparks like mad

Reminded me of the forth of July.

Needless to say I removed it

Where can I buy a good one?
:burn:

For that kind of money check out the OCZ Goliath! Bu it without the Delta 60 and pick up a 60-80mm adapter and a panaflo U-series fan. I used this and it kept my XP1700 @ 1667 cool as the stock fan at stock speed. I was impressed! PCMutants has this exact same setup. HS alone is like $20.

b/c of where the comp will be, i decided that i don't really care about noise b/c of the washer, dryer, furnace, and dehumidifier nearby.

Back