• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair PC2700 w/o heatspreader = ok???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tr0LL

Is it ok to run the corsair pc2700 XMS chip w/o the heat spreader? I mean I have good case cooling (about 1-2C above room temp (26C-28C case temps in summer weather)....

I just bought a corsair pc2700 XMS off my friend who said it never had them (I think he bought them used)..... anyway, right now I'm running a 157FSB speed at CAS 2, which is below it's spec, so I should be fine rite?

Heat spreaders do very little, if anything, in most cases. If you have good airflow and circulation of it over your memory there should never be any need for a heat spreader.

If he says it did not come w/ a heat spreader, then he bought what is termed a "value select" stick. Same memory, just no heat spreader.

litle

Jon said:
Heat spreaders do very little, if anything, in most cases. If you have good airflow and circulation of it over your memory there should never be any need for a heat spreader.

I agree.. Never readed much good coments... But, in case of some specific chips of the mobo, like pll, yes...

thanks for the info... my memory is running at 2.9V thou (default on this board is 2.6 (default on most is 2.5v i think)...

does 2.9v create a lot more heat?

I was just on corsair's website and it said that the "Value Select"
(without heat spreader) they sell actually is rated at cas2.5 while the ones w/ the heat spreaders are rated at cas2.
Might not really make much of a difference though unless you're trying to squeeze out every mhz out of it.

ooh, i didn't know that... well my pc2700 wouldn't do cas2 at 200fsb so i had to change to cas 2.5.....

still get 3000+ sisoft scores tho...

=)

Troll, I guess you just found out the difference then.
It's still one of the best memory out there though.

I just bought a 256mb pc3000 stick of mushkin. love it. great performer

My dads computer became uch more stable at o/c speed when i put a heatspreader on so...

I use copper heatspreaders and I have also used the aluminum ones with a small fan and they do very little if anything to improve overclocking. Better to concentrate on getting a good stick and if you want to put a spreader on it you can get them for $9.00 and do it yourself.

Back