• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of heatercore & where do i get them??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

touser

Hi all i am looking into getting a heatercore to replace my dangerden cube radiator as it just doesn't seem to be cutting it :(. I was wondering if anyone knew if there where any that where about the same size as the dangerden cube radiator? And if so where would i pick one of these up new, and about how much do they cost? thanks in advance!

P.S. even if they arent the same size as the cube radiator i am still interested in them :)!

heater cores

Check an auto parts store... they'll probably have dozens to choose from and they'll be cheaper than buying one at any online PC H2O cooling parts vendor.

I heard an '86 Chevy Chevette heatercore is pretty good for about $25.

The 86 Chevy Chevette heatercore is very popular for water cooling. Its cheep and very compact, atleast for a heater core. I think it was Autozone that had it for $16.99 but I'm not sure. I'll be shopping for one soon for a project I am planning.

great! thanks for the reply's i appreciate it! and the heatercore from a 86 Chevy Chevette will be better then my dangerden cube radiator.. correct?

heatercore performance

Well now that's hard to predict. It depends on the fans you use to cool it and how you place them. It also depends on the ambient temp and the case temp if your radiator is inside the case.

I'm not a H2O guy yet, but I think the best way to do it in the case is to arrange fans in a push/pull arrangment so air from outside the case is pushed thru the radiator, and then pulled by fans on the other side and blown at an exhaust fan/fans or ducted out of the case.

When I do my H2O... well that's another story entirely... Invovling fishtanks, UV dye and black lights, anti-freeze, di-electric grease, neoprene, a mini-fridge, a bucket of water and some copper coils- and no radiator. Think I wait for the Tbred and some $ before I get started.

thanks for the reply Arkaine23, i currently have 2 120mm fans on the radiator in a push/pull one pushing cold air from outside and the other one pulling it through..my radiator is also inside my case just above my psu...i just dont know what Btu that heatercore is rated at apposed to the dangerden cube...

Thanks for the help guys, i went to the local kraigan warehouse and picked up a heatercore from an 86 chevy chavette since it was so highly recommended :). I was just wondering... the tubing i currently have isn't going to fit around the barbs sticking out of this thing..I was wondering if anyone knew any stores other then online stores that sold silicon tubing, or something similar? Thanks again!

tubing

Not sure about the tubing... I just got some cheap vinyl tubing at hardware store for my future setup. Is silicone so much better? You could also just find some adapters at a hardware store. Or continue your search for the right tubing. Wish I coud direct you, but the only H2O online vendors I know are dtekcustoms.com and dangerden.com

The best option Ive seen for the heater cores is to cut the holes slightly, so theres just about an inch to an inch and a half left. Then attach the correct sized barbs you need. That way you can specify what size hosing you want to use.

I did this with a heater core that I had and it worked great. Actually, you can ask DarkArctic, he has it now. I was selling these for some time but had troubles getting another after I sold one to him, so I sent him mine.

From what he told me, its working great. (Which is very good, I was SOO slacking in my side of our deal so I sent him a refund for the core pricing.)

However, he said hes getting about 2 over amb. Which is pretty nice.

Thank you for the link to your article DodgeViper it is very good! I have been wondering ever since I got the heatercore what kind of fan arrangement I would use on it since my 120mm ones where just too small and it seems you have found a way! I am currently just using a small AC fan that is almost exactly the same size as the heatercore and it seems to be working nicely other then the fact I don’t have one pulling air, just pushing air through it.

Back