• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soldier aluminum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
is there a way to soldier aluminum? im makin waterblocks for my ram(gfx card prob not the voodoo 3)

but i cut the passage and i gotta put top and bottom on it...

You need a propane torch and as Lord_of_Decay said you need the right solder.They sell soldering rods for aluminum.Its pretty easy,you just need to rub the rod on the joints to be soldered to break the oxide and the metal should be just above the solder melting point,with a little practice you can make it turn out nice.

Here's a link for some aluminum solder paste.
I'm sure the directions will cover this, but any joining of aluminum including welding has to so Super Clean to make it stick.

This stuff says it joins it to other metals too, but it's not specific. I'd hope it will join aluminum to copper too (should the need arrise.

i could weld it, got some experience welding aluminum... but im worried about it warping.... hwen i weld steel it warps a LOT!

maskedgeek said:
is there a way to soldier aluminum? im makin waterblocks for my ram(gfx card prob not the voodoo 3)

but i cut the passage and i gotta put top and bottom on it...

Aluminum has an oxide surface layer that is very tenacious and resistant to normal soldering. However, it is possible to solder aluminum with either a very toxic flux (acids, etc.), or with a high temp and flux zinc solder (850 deg. F). Both of these are very ugly solutions outside of the industrial environment.

One way around it is to have the aluminum nickel plated, which can be done by most plating job shops, or even perhaps at home. I would caution the use at home only in that I think several acid etches are involved in plating aluminum with nickel.

The good news is that once plated with nickel, aluminum can be joined to copper or nickel, etc. using standard ZnCl pipe joining flux and lead-tin solder. I have done that, and it works very well. Good luck.

Koooler King

Use JBweld!!!

Hoot suggested that to me a while ago, and it worked out great.
It's too much of a hassle to weld aluminum correctly.

I CAN weld aluminum, but jbweld wont conduct heat,thats the prob
this needs to conduct heat, otherwize i would have just stuck some tubing on a plate...

Lord_of_Decay said:
MIG/TIG Welding also works well for Aluminum, very useful when fixing cracks in Cylinder Heads. Steady hand and a practiced eye.:burn:

Mig is Metal Insert Gas and is not used for aluminum you probally mean Spoolgun and Tig is used for Aluminum and Steel depends on the type of tip.

You can take it to a local fab shop and have it welded for $20-30 bucks and have it water tight.

i did just above this say I could do this, on monday if i want i can... so it turns out its not a problem, im just worried about it warping... and having to lapp the crap out of it!

If you tig it there will almost be no problem because of the lower heat needed to melt aluminum, maby at most 1mm buldge. Aluminum spool gun will be much more.

What kind do you plan to use

well i have easy acess to spool, i could get it tig welded possibly... or ill just find some of that soldier...

Personally bud, I'd use the solder.

I can weld aluminum with both mig and tig (yes, you can use mig), and they would both work fine...but. Since your looking for the best temp transfer from one half of the block to the next, more surface would be joined in the seam of the block with solder leaching into the gaps. Welding would only get 1/16 to 1/4" deep, and only at the accessible edges.

Like in the pic, welding will only penetrate to the light red areas at the edge, solder would get most if not all the surface joined to the top cover. (the waterchannels are the blue of course.)

Just my thoughts.

the overclocker said:
first of all, JBweld is an epoxy

why not stick a plexi top to the waterblock, it would look cool and an epoxy or gasket gule should work.

everything iv epoxied or jbwelded isnt very solid, i would like it to be solid... and for the bottom to conduct heat to the top....
and i dont want a plexi top partly because its gonna be facing down(on gfx card ram) and another worry about it leaking.....

Back