• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC'97 begins to cracks on the "sh" and "ch" and etc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

I own a Shuttle AK31 rev.3.1 and the onboard is starting to produce cracking sounds with there is suppose to be "sh", "ch", "z", "t" and etc sounds.

I've updated the VIA's latest drivers but it's the same.
I wonder if it can be fixed or not...
Would reformatting be any help.

This problem started after a few weeks when I turned the "pot" and upped the Vcore to 2.00Vcore. Now, It's back to default, 1.75Vcore.
Problem is still there.

Can this be fixed or I have no luck?:(

Did you look at all your sound options maby your bass is to high or somthing called "3d sound" is checked under the advanced options, this was the problem with mine a few mouths back:)

My tweeters are not damaged. I'm sure because I've tried it on two other sets of speakers which I've got that's on my other PCs.

For the treble slider in "Volumn Control" under the Start - All Programs - Accesories - Entertainment, is unmovable.
Both Bass and Treble option is darken out. Can't adjust it.:(
Updated the driver again and still like that.

Also, Mr.$T$, do you mean "3D Depth"? On my option, it is darkened out also. I can not adjust it.

I've tried to mute the "Subwoofer" by it's the same.

What can I do now?
And how do I unlock these "Treble" and "Bass" settings?
(on my other PCs, these settings are unlocked!):(

that does that permantly to me on ghost recon, it works fine with everything else...

maybe there is some vague software incompatabillity somewhere

To "ninthebin",
The problem with my sound is that it is sounding wrong in all areas including Winamp, CS, and WindowXP's system sounds.

To "the overclocker",
Well, I don't think it's the speaker's problem since I tried using my other sets of speakers which sounded perfectly. Also I cleaned it today but it made no difference.

To bm1
I've set it back to default PCI speed (i think it's 133fsb/4=33.25Mhz) and the problem is still there.

well maybe yours is just a bad chip...I generally think the sound quality on mine is equal to that of a decent dedicated soundcard....but then I have heard other people say that theres is just terrible when it comes to listening to anything...

whether or not these people just had crap speakers, ill never know...but if there are some dodgy chips installed then maybe you should consider getting a dedicated

the ac 97 on my shuttle crackles as well.. just thought i'd let you know you arent' the only one... i've never found a good fix, i was gonna go on and get a sound card...

good luck, let us know if you figure it out. think there's a microsoft update for the ac 97 at windows update believe it or not. you could give that a try.

same thing happen to both my sound and my friends sound on our shuttle AK31 rev 3.1's. Got a new sound card, worth the 60 bucks. The quality difference is AMAZING! Quick, go buy a new sound card and never use onboard again!

I had the same problems with my SIS based AC97 MB's in our NetVista's here at work. It esp. was bad when combined with Windows 2000. I went to SIS's website and found a Beta driver for the sound and installed that. All the crackles and hiss's went away.

I have a nice set of Altec Lansing on the one in my Office and Let me tell you those things hit pretty good. I can feel em in the conference room next door when I turn em up. It sounds very sweet.

;)

Tracert said:
I had the same problems with my SIS based AC97 MB's in our NetVista's here at work. It esp. was bad when combined with Windows 2000. I went to SIS's website and found a Beta driver for the sound and installed that. All the crackles and hiss's went away.

Really? I have an SiS based AC'97 too. I'm gonna try those beta drivers (if i can find them).

-PC

Back