• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your suggestions about THIS P4 1.6a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VotTak

I got it yesterday and on default VCore and FSB it reads 40-42C
on BD7RAID with BIOS v.7C with retail heatsink and ArcticSilver on it. Packing date is 3/27.
I can set FSB to 145 and run it at default speed.
Although 150 is no boot. I believe because of my Mushkin PC2100 which does not wanna go over 150 ( when I set FSB to 117 and CPU/memory ratio to 3:4 which put CPU at 117 but memory at 150 it did not want to boot either ).

I was planning on going for watercooling and I believe that it will help in my case... but I still hate to start working with such a high temps.

So I think that this high temperature is preventing me of going higher.
CPU was bought localy .... Should I bring it back complaining about high temps and asking to sustitute it?

i think that if you upgraded your ram that you would be able to get the 1.6a up higher. i heard that your pack date is supposed to be very good, mine is 3/26/02, and i am very happy with, so i dont think that it is the processor. i would keep the cpu, but if you can return it for a better pack date, go for it, but i find it hard to believe that they would return it for temp problems.

You are worried about high temps but you never mentioned what the overclocked load CPU temp was... however, seems to me that the temp appear fairly good at default speed for only using a retail cooler. If you can get a stable 145 FSB out of it using default voltage, I'd say you have a pretty good processor. You need more vcore. Bump up your voltage as long as your overclocked CPU load temp is under 50 degrees.

Last edited:
I tried to load it by Prime95 at FSB 133 which is 2136MHz and the temp went up to 55C.
I think I gotta go fot watercooling in case I wanna do the "wire trick".
BTW I saw 2 different pages about wire trick and didn't save any. Can someone be kind enough to point me to the right direction?
Thnx.

VotTak said:
I tried to load it by Prime95 at FSB 133 which is 2136MHz and the temp went up to 55C.
I think I gotta go fot watercooling in case I wanna do the "wire trick".
BTW I saw 2 different pages about wire trick and didn't save any. Can someone be kind enough to point me to the right direction?
Thnx.

Didn´t this one help you (the one which is "sticked" in this forum?):

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74707

You should be able to pull faster speeds with a good aftermarket heatsink unless you have your heart set on watercooling. How much voltage are you feeding the proc when it's at 133Mhz on the FSB anyway?

Back