• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best method for viewing temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoutale

Registered
Howdy. I have scoured these forums pretty thoroughly looking for an answer to this. Very sorry if this is a redundant post. Anyways, I am getting parts for my new computer and am curious as to what the best method for viewing the cpu temp is.

These are a few of my ideas:

1) Lian Li LCD panel. Has 2 LCD readouts and sensors. I assume I just put a sensor between my heatsink and cpu. But this seems like it would affect the heatsinks performance.

2) ASUS iPanel. I will be getting an ASUS mobo so this seems like the best solution. But the reviews of this panel range from good to awful. Among the criticisms, people report that it causes random pauses and the temp. reader is inaccurate.

3) Software reader. MBM5 or something similar. This sounds ok, but I won't be able to see it while I am in my games. Its in my game that the cpu will be most loaded.

4) Keep case off and touch heatsink with my finger. This may not be the most accurate system, but the price is right.

None of these ideas seem very good.

Thanks for any input

RE the above points :

1) The best way to attach those thermistors properly is a nut-case only drill hole into heatsink and fill with thermal grease. Accurate but only for those with the suicide gene.

3) MBM5 has logging features and a hi/lo/average so you can find out what temps were after playing your games, or more tolerant games eg Unreal Tourny will let you alt-tab out while they run.

4) Not good. Too hot = ouch, exposed circuitry = ouch, exposed fan blades = ouch. Plus this doesn't let you find out what goes on when the lid is on.

I favour solution 3.

Buy a DigiDoc 5 which comes with 2 flat thermistors and 6 bulb type thermistors. Use one of the flat ones for the cpu temp. You need to place it so it touches the cpu core (on the side of the core, not on top). This won't interfere with your HSF and you have 7 more temps readouts for other areas of your case.

Back