• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

super cleaning?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stikphysh

ok, heres a quick little story. 3 years ago a kid named stikphysh decided to build his first pc. got a case, painted it a terrible military green and threw in an athalon 800 and a voodoo 3 and all kinds of stuff.... well, in the year 2002 stikphysh decides he wants to give case modding a go and comes up with THIS, but upon hours of staring at his work, realizes that years of dust are crusted on the parts. them cheesy air cans that you sniff just dont clean it well enough. now stikphysh cant have that, so hes askin yall what to do to clean the dust off to get his parts clean. thanks guys, yeah, i know the story is about LAME! lol. its just one of them days

hey bro! case looks great!! to clean the dust i would reccomend
taking pure isopryl alchahol and fill a bucket up with it and just
dip your stuff in there. you can also lightly whipe with a rag! :p
may be a little extreme, but im sure it will work!

I just use a dry 1" wide paint brush made for house painting/trimwork. If it's really pesky, try some windex on a q-tip (unless you have alot of cleaning to do). Let it dry before firing it up. Contacts along card edges can be cleaned with a pencil eraser.

Isopropyle alchohol isnt the same as rubbing alcohol is it? ive heard rubbing alcohol leaves a film that aint too good for stuf. as for windex, that kinda scares me too. what i really need is HFE. you can submerge a comp in it and run it in the stuff cuz its an inert liquid. tell ya what, seein a computer in a fish tank full of clear liquid is trippy. lol

I usually vaccum the parts to get rid of all the loose dust. Then I wipe the stubborn just wipe the parts with a bunch of qtips and rubbing alcohol.
The next thing you might want to do is to prevent the dust from coming back in. What I do is throw a stocking piece on to the fan and secure it down somehow (No!!! I dont buy them, i usually have my girlfriend grab them for me when she goes and tries on shoes). It works like hell because I usually have a ring of dust built up in front of my fans!!!

Hey do you really sniff that canned stuff??

trdsw20 said:
Hey do you really sniff that canned stuff??

I dont know if he does, but i know some people do. In some places they refuse to sell it to people without an ID. Lets just say that it is one of the crazy things i am not going to try.

To clean my computer, I just vacuum it out, and if there are any left overs, I just use a brush of some kinda to get the rest out. Then I vacuum it again.

I use an air compressor. Works really good too. But you have to disassemble all your components to have it work really good. It is 176 PSI. I work in carpentry so I have alot of tools which comes in handy when I do case mods since I have any tool you could need to mod a case.

I got a compressor as well, its only 100psi though, its been enough so far. My father and I both like to do woodworking so we have/had just about any tool we need. Unfortunatly we dont have as big of a workshop in our new house so we had to give up the lathe:( well, its in Grandpas barn, so im going to take it to my place once I get my own establishment.

no, i dont sniff it, but yes some people do. some people sniff gasoline. shows the brains there eh? but yeah, they always card me when i try to buy it at walmart. grrrr. im 20 and i look 15. lol. its real embarasing when you take a girl out and get carded at the movies.

To start, I use a toothbrush (new) with a little alchohol. It gets into all the little nooks and crannies and is abrasive enough to get any kind of grime off.
I personally hate using canned air.

I always use a makeup brush and a little compressed air. I have stayed away from the canned air, primarily because it is so expensive and I have 2 compressors to use. Never set the pressure too high when blowing off your hardware and case. I use maybe 30 psi and really try not to get too close. Also make sure NO static is near you, for once the magic smoke is out you can never go back........:(

The air compressor I keep at home can go up to 160psi. I usually use about 120 but I might turn it down to 120 or 100 because I almost lost a video card because there was too much pressure. Oni, have you cleaned fans with a compressor before. They get really loud. It's funny because sometimes it bugs my neighbors.:)

Lance Thornton, that seems a bit low especially since you said you keep it quite a bit away from what you are trying to clean.

Back