• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

winXP HD light always on after installing/deleteing app, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

I have recently installed an axis 560 printserver. I installed their printserver software which kept crashing. after talking to their tech support I decided to ditch their software and just do IP printing. The one thing that I have noticed is that the HD light is ALWAYS on now. The app has been deleted and I cant see what would be causing this. Before the install I know it was off. I don't rememeber making any other changes diring the install.

I even used the XP feature to "roll back" the system, which i did but it did not help.

My win98 machine is fine. I downloaded an app from sysinternals that monitors Hd access and FS calls. Is does not seem to be accessing the HD constantly.

If anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I would hate to have to re-install.

First download Regcleaner and disable everything at startup that seems to be uncessary.

Check for Ad-Ware (Download at downloads.com).

Third check for a virus.

Yodums

Thanks for the reply,
I've been running adware for a while now and run Nortons AV and "the cleaner" to keep a lookout for trojans. I downloaded that registry program (very nice). I made some changes and as soon as I'm done with this protein I'll re-boot

I've had a similar problem w/ the machines I build for work. Sometimes, I'll build one, and no matter what, the HDD light stays on. This is not a mis-connection or anything either. I found that if I update all drivers, this problem would go away.

I'd check to see of the hard drive is in fact being used, or if the light is just staying on. This could lead to some other conclusions.

After the changes above the lighjt is still on. I downloaded 2 utilities from sysinternals.com. The forst one allows me to monitor filesystem writes. the other is just a HD write monitor. If you minimize the HDmonitor it will function like the light on the front of the case but in the system tray. According to these two utilities the system is not accessing the HD all of the time. I'm pretty stumped on this one.

If i remove the HD light wire from the MB is goes out, and if i reverse the leads the light stays off so I'm pretty sure theres not a physical short somewhere.

I'm not sure if I'll re-install because according to the software monitors the disk access is normal.

I'm pretty stumped on this one.

Back