• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sorry i need advice again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quicksilver984

Registered
i was watching even more benchmarks of radeon 8500 64mb vs gf3ti200

and in many of em i found that the frame difference is like 5 frames

and i personally think that 5 frames is not enough to buy a card that has a risk of not working well in some games

whats the exact difference between the 2 cards?
i mean im not risking my money for 5 frames
tell me if the difference is more than that, or if the radeon will work better in future games, and that kinda stuff that will make me buy an ati card.
speak of both of em in retail state
not overclocked

quicksilver984 said:
i was watching even more benchmarks of radeon 8500 64mb vs gf3ti200

and in many of em i found that the frame difference is like 5 frames

and i personally think that 5 frames is not enough to buy a card that has a risk of not working well in some games

whats the exact difference between the 2 cards?
i mean im not risking my money for 5 frames
tell me if the difference is more than that, or if the radeon will work better in future games, and that kinda stuff that will make me buy an ati card.
speak of both of em in retail state
not overclocked

honestly, IMO, there isn't a great deal of difference between the cards at all. As you said framerates are a tab higher, not enough to justify an upgrade. I would most certainladvise you to hold on to your money until ATI and nvidia show there next offerings(those after gf4 and the 8500) Like you i have a gf3 and i have not seen the great improvements to get me to go up any. Yes, these cards perform very well in 3dmark, but 3dmark will not get me to upgrade my card. Personally, i am waiting for nvidia's next offering.

sorry if i typed my post wrong......
u misunderstood me
i DONT own a gf3ti200

im trying to decide to buy a 8500 or a gf3ti200
the price in my area is exactly the same.....

quicksilver984 said:
sorry if i typed my post wrong......
u misunderstood me
i DONT own a gf3ti200

im trying to decide to buy a 8500 or a gf3ti200
the price in my area is exactly the same.....

haha, my fault then. can i ask a quick question.... what brand of gf3 ti200 are you looking at??

here are some thoughts on the gainward(my fav:)) of the two i would choose the gf3, but that is my opinion. I am sure someone will come along and say you should get the radeon. I consider both cards to be of the same generation while a few say the radeon competes completely with the gf4 line of cards. Of course ATI, for some people, has driver issues. It seems as if the driver issues have settled a little but some poeple still have horror stories.

If you browse around www.tomshardware.com or www.anandtech.com you will find a few reviews of them and get their thoughts. i hope i have been a little helpful though:)

I would take ATI for the 2d graphic. I the two cards compete in the same area in 3d, with Radeon giving a bit better image quality, but Radeon will beat everyone exept matrox (lousy 3d) in 2d. It's a lot easier to spend hours reading on a Radeon than a GeForce. It all really depends on weather you wan't the best frame rate in 3d, or if you want to calm your eyes when using the computer for something "useful"...

The drivers seems to be working allright now, seems like ATI finally fixed it :)

elysium

i would get the Radeon, its faster, and the newest drivers are comaptible wih everything, also most of the horror stories ive heard are from people who bought cheap OEMs from crappy Chinese companies.....

newegg has a Radeon OEM clocked at 250/275 with 3.3 ns DDR Ram for $99.00. It would be hard to find a GF 2 TI200 in the same pricerange, you would usually have to spend about $20.00 more for a decent one.

With 3.3 ns Ram I would think the OCing on that card would be pretty fun.

which oem card does newegg have.. i have seen their oem 230/230.. i thought all oem le's were that price and clockspeed??

Also, ATi is MUCH better at TV out than nVidia is. I've had problems with TV out with my GeForce3, but since I don't use it I don't care.

To recap...

ATi Radeon:

Great image quality
Great 2D
Great at TV out

nVidia:

Better at 3D
Not good at TV out
Very good dual monitor support

Hope this helps.

-DarkArctic

so as i understood, i should get a gf3ti200, since im using the card mostly for 3d games.....
(2d games out there..... one in a billion..... and i dont really care aabout th rest
except the tv in but anyway.....)

I love my ti200, I have had zero problems with it and I can beat most 8500 in fps, ati is suspect for bad drivers, you will never have that problem with a geforce.

vtjvt said:
I love my ti200, I have had zero problems with it and I can beat most 8500 in fps, ati is suspect for bad drivers, you will never have that problem with a geforce.

As said, those problems with the drivers seems to be gone. Every time ATI releases a new driver now, it seems like it improves the card. So perhaps you were talking about 8500 with old drivers???

And belive me, after working with word, excel, internet, you're eyes would love the radeon. It's so much more relaxing for the eyes than a GeForce. This is when the 2d graphic plays it parts. Personally, I love my Radeon 32mb ddr. It's a bit old, but it works fine in any game I have tried.

elysium

quicksilver984 said:
so as i understood, i should get a gf3ti200, since im using the card mostly for 3d games.....
(2d games out there..... one in a billion..... and i dont really care aabout th rest
except the tv in but anyway.....)

The 8500 will be faster then the TI200, if you went with a TI500 then you would be about the same speed for both (although chances are better that with OCing both, you would be able to get an 8500 about 5% faster). ATI's drivers are just as stable as Nvidia's. If you look around you will see just as many issues for Nvidia as ATI (just look at the problems with the GF4's).

I am not sure who is making the newegg card, but with specs like those I would be willing to give it a shot.

Just call em and ask.

this thing is giving me a headache

so you guys mean i should buy an 8500?
cos ive heard many complaints about it
new drivers seem to be ok
but many ppl said that in some games u need to install old drivers for em to perform better
and thats a kick in the ***......

its gf3ti200 vs 850064mb
place your bets

u guys woukld help a lot if u say why u choose any of the cards.....
and why u dont choose the other

quicksilver984 said:
u guys woukld help a lot if u say why u choose any of the cards.....
and why u dont choose the other

i thougt i did;) the problem is that in this thread you have those who swear by nvidia and those who swear by ATI. I know i said i would prolly get the ti200 and i still stand by that. To go into more detail i say get the GAinward card!!

my opinion: go for the nVidia card. ATi makes a fine card no doubt, but their history of releasing drivers is terrible- if you have driver trouble you may have to wait 3 months for a new one to be released. With a GF3 you'd have a new driver set practically every week, fixing problems and speeding things up all the time.

Plus there are just more folks who have Geforces- that means more people to help you put if you have problems or questions. Game companies know that more people have Geforces too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tended to include nVidia features in new games instead of ATi ones.

The image quality thing- well I personally don't think Radeons look any better than a Geforce. I hear you have to be running hi res (1280x1024 and up) before you really notice it, and I don't.

If the price is the same, I would go for a GF3 no doubt.

Back