• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gnome or kde?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you've got the space install them both and see which one you like the most.

I use gnome for my every day desktop and kde for a server desktop (if I even put a gui on the server). I think gnome looks and feels a lot better, but until version 2.0 is stable it's quite a bit slower than kde.

I agree with Poly about Gnome. I like it, but KDE is much faster for me, so that is what I use. I do have trouble customizing KDE to the exact colors and stuff.

the newest KDE which came with Redhat 7.3 blew me away, though if you are using an older Linux distro i liked Gnome better in Mandrake 8.1....then again, i am a sucker for flashy graphics (KDE 3.0.12 or something like that) and it seemed a good deal faster than Gnome, im going to have to install KDE on my moms computer now....(Celly 300...cant really handle Linux)

funnyperson1 said:
the newest KDE which came with Redhat 7.3 blew me away, though if you are using an older Linux distro i liked Gnome better in Mandrake 8.1....then again, i am a sucker for flashy graphics (KDE 3.0.12 or something like that) and it seemed a good deal faster than Gnome, im going to have to install KDE on my moms computer now....(Celly 300...cant really handle Linux)

correction: can't really handle X. Linux runs fine on a 486

I mainly think the desktops are what you make them to be, if you use defaults and ugly themes it just looks and works like crap. If you spend some time finding things that look nice and are functional then it can be kickass.

Some people here seam like they're saying that gnome is unbearably slower than kde, which is not the case, even on slower systems. It is by a little, but that's mainly because more eye candy is turned on by default. If it's speed you want then use blackbox.

Shell? gnome/kde?
These are not 'shells' - they are gui desktop environements. shells are terminal sessions; ie dos prompt, cmd, command as it relates to windows/nt/win2k.

I prefer KDE as a 'gui desktop environement' and 'kterm' as my 'shell'

jajmon said:
Shell? gnome/kde?
These are not 'shells' - they are gui desktop environements. shells are terminal sessions; ie dos prompt, cmd, command as it relates to windows/nt/win2k.

I prefer KDE as a 'gui desktop environement' and 'kterm' as my 'shell'

Actually, if we want to get specific, I beleive KDE and Gnome are window managers, and XFree86 is the environment.

Actually, they aren't window managers. They *are* desktop environments, and part of that includes a window manager, but there is more than just a window manager.

Gnome uses the Sawfish window manager by default last time I checked, KDE uses their own called kwm.

Back