• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Overclocking Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

im planning on a oc project for a 1.6A to sumtin around 2.4 or 2.6. whats the best cooling i can get (air cooling, nothin fancy) at an acceptable price?. i was originally lookin at the thermaltake volcano 7+, but i then i saw the thermalright ax-478 which had some dam nice numbers. if i go with the thermalright, what kinda fan should i go with (I WANT A QUIET COMPUTER, DONT TELL ME TO STICK A DELTA TO IT). i was thinkin mabye one of those wicked quiet/cheap silencer fans by pcpowercooling? im afraid its not powerful enough though. any suggestions??

Thermalright AX478 for 26 bucks at KD Computers. For a fan I would get a Delta with a rheostat. I can not hear my delta 68 over my other case fans with my rheostat. If you dont want that go with the Megatronics 53CFM at 39db.

Also steer clear of Thermaltake products especially the Volcano 7+. A good number of members of this forum, myself included, had mounting problems with them. I could never get mine to work. Thermaltake dismissed me and others with no help.

Last edited:
I do not suggest anything under 40CFM if you are trying for a gig overclock. I would really recomend the Delta 80 with a rheostat. It will be near inaudible. I would say under 30dbs.

a rheo will cost you like 5 bucks? You cant afford that but you can afford a 1.6A and you were thinking about a Thermatake Volcano 7+. 37 dollar heatsink.... Lets see...... 26 for the AX478 15 for the fan and 5 for the rheo.... 46.00.... thats only 9 more than the Volcano 7+. And alot better performance.....

If you really want another fan..... I would not recomend anything that can put out in the mid 40CFM range.

sorry i dont know anythin about rheostats and stuff liek that. where do i get one? also, wouldn't turning down the speed of a delta reduce its performance so that it isn't any better than some other really quiet fan i might get? or is it just set really high speeds when they sell them, but if you tone them down they outperform other quiet fans with the same noise level?

When you turn it down it does drop the CFM, but the good thing about it is that if you need more cooling you can turn it up.... Really good when your playing games and so forth. A rheostated 80CFM Delta will still out due any 40-50CFM fan around. You can buy them most anywhere you buy fans and heatsinks. I got mine from KD computers. But I suggest this. PM Hoot and get one of his 12.5 watts. I got two for 11.00 shipped. This will do the trick nicely for the 80CFM Delta. He sales them for 6.00 for one.

you know any place that talks about rheostats? im still really really unclear at how they work and what they're for....

Hiya guys. I have been reading up everything I can find on P4 Heatsink/fans and have come to the conclusion that there is no decent quiet solution. My P4 1.6a is in the mail now, but I decided to just go with the stock cooling. I looked at my friends 1.6a with stock cooling, and it wasn't that loud at all. I wish the cooling review here had the dBa on it. But it seems like you can't beat the performance of the stock cooler with any other heatsink w/ a fan at the same dBa.

My delta is near inaudible with my rheostat. I idle at 30C with the stock coolermy idle temp were 39C(and remember that was not overclocked and stock voltage now I am at 1.7 and 2159). And now I am quieter than the stock fan...... Now you were saying......

All of the good heatsinks(Thermalright, Swiftech, Alpha) will outperform the stock cooler with the same db fan. I would just suggest the Delta for extreme overclocking. Also the Alpha PAL8942 has been shown to outperform the rest at lower CFM's so that may be your best bet if you want quiet

rlemieux said:
Thermalright AX478 for 26 bucks at KD Computers. For a fan I would get a Delta with a rheostat. I can not hear my delta 68 over my other case fans with my rheostat. If you dont want that go with the Megatronics 53CFM at 39db.

Also steer clear of Thermaltake products especially the Volcano 7+. A good number of members of this forum, myself included, had mounting problems with them. I could never get mine to work. Thermaltake dismissed me and others with no help.

I do like the AX heat sink, but I don't think that he will need a delta screamer on there. Save your ears and get a nice panaflo...quiet and do the job. I have one on my AMD heater...should handle the P4 just fine. And you will get your 2.4 with that cooling.

Sir-Epix said:

I do like the AX heat sink, but I don't think that he will need a delta screamer on there. Save your ears and get a nice panaflo...quiet and do the job. I have one on my AMD heater...should handle the P4 just fine. And you will get your 2.4 with that cooling.

Im testing the AX-478 right now and I also utterly HATE a loud pc.....Ive got a Delta 68cfm 80mm fan that is pretty dang loud, but its on a Rheostat that I bought from Hoot, and its only loud when I want it to be loud.....the rest of the time I cant even hear the thing.....and at roughly 2800 rpm its barely audible and my P4 at load doesnt go over 42*c running Folding@Home

My advise? Get a AX-478 and a Delta, but if you do get a rheostat, its fairly easy to wire up, in fact you can buy a pre wired unit if thats your thing, but there is plenty of links here to diagram how to hook it up. ;)

Thanks for the info guys im getting a ax-478 with a tornado 80cfm fan i wonder what my temp will be can u guys guess i have no idea

temps will depend on how far you clock the speed, the voltage, how well the air flow is in and out of your case, as well as the ambient temps of the room the computer will be in.

no way to guess reliably with so many variables.

i am sure everything will work out fine. just test it out and see what you get.

Back