• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a dud Northwood?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dez168

Hi all, well I have recently purchased the following setup:

Abit BD7
P4 1.8A
512MB DDR Kingston PC2100
ASUS GeForce 3 Ti 200
IBM 60GB 120GXP

I also have these devices in my system
SB Live! Player
3COM NIC
Tekram SCSI
Sony 52x CD-ROM
Yamaha 24 x 8 x 4 CD/RW

I have been trying to o/c this baby for the past 3 weeks, and the highest i can get it to is 18 x 120 with 1.65 vcore, anything above 123 and the system won't post at all. I have tried pulling out all devices leaving only the video card and I still can't get past 123. I have a volcano 7+ with AS2 and my temps are fine, around 34C idle and 39 load.

Do I simply just have a dud cpu?

The FPO# is L151A642, Pack Date is 02/02/2002, Malay CPU

Any1 had any experiences with cpu's around this time? good/bad?

I'm thinking of selling it off and getting a 1.6a instead. With the extra cash I can swap my ram for samsung pc2700, and take my o/cing journey there instead. What are ppl's thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance

Try it at 133. At 120, you may have a PCI card that doesn't like the higher bus.....at 133...you'll have new dividers and your AGP/PCI will be in spec.

can't even get past 120 let alone 133

hi, i've tried 133, and the problem at 133 is even worse, it doesn't even reboot out of bios, and just beeps for ever. I dun think the agp/pci dividers are the problem because i have set them to fix @ 66/33, and it works fine at 120, anything above that simply won't boot.

Re: can't even get past 120 let alone 133

dez168 said:
hi, i've tried 133, and the problem at 133 is even worse, it doesn't even reboot out of bios, and just beeps for ever. I dun think the agp/pci dividers are the problem because i have set them to fix @ 66/33, and it works fine at 120, anything above that simply won't boot.
are you using the mr natural bd7 bios? if not, try that for a start. i do not like kingston value ram, in my first ddr setup, i had a 512 stick of kingston and i did not have very good results with it and it went straight back to new egg for a refund. your 1.8a should do 133 no problem, and if not, you might have got a dud one. i personally like the 1.6a's myself better than all the p4 nortys. but i would start with the bios and then focus on the mem.:cool:

My 1.8A is stable at 2260 Mhz, but it needs 1.75 V (set in the BIOS). It loads at 2.4 Ghz (133 Mhz FSB) at 1.85 V set in the BIOS, but CPU benchmarks fail. It was packed in early January.

laja said:
My 1.8A is stable at 2260 Mhz, but it needs 1.75 V (set in the BIOS). It loads at 2.4 Ghz (133 Mhz FSB) at 1.85 V set in the BIOS, but CPU benchmarks fail. It was packed in early January.
it might very well be you cpu. but, you might be able to overclock you ram, but the real question is how well will it preform?

It's interesting that a 360mhz overclock could be considered a "dud". That's an overclock of about 20%. My first experiment with overclocking was to run a Pentium 90 at 100mhz for a 12% overclock. I was more than happy when it worked.

I guess that just goes to show how much we've come to expect from Intel CPUs. Most Athlons I've worked with couldn't handle more than a 20% overclock.

Jirnsum said:
Us Intel users are spoiled rotten ;)

No doubt. We've reached the point where we expect a 50% overclock from everything we buy.

I took my first shot at overclocking my 1.6A Northwood last night (starting at a 133.33 FSB for 2,133 and was disappointed that I had to raise the voltage to 1.55 before it would complete a set of benchmarks.

Morpheusman said:

No doubt. We've reached the point where we expect a 50% overclock from everything we buy.

I took my first shot at overclocking my 1.6A Northwood last night (starting at a 133.33 FSB for 2,133 and was disappointed that I had to raise the voltage to 1.55 before it would complete a set of benchmarks.
what is your pack date? my 1.6a(3/26/02) will do 140 with default voltage. you might have to sell and hand pick that baby. people i think just expect ALOT of the 1.6 and 1.8 chips, i know i do, thats why i bought it. i bought a 2.a when they first came out and it is not nearly a good overclocker as my 1.6a.:D

Morpheusman said:

jdmcnudgent said:
what is your pack date? my 1.6a(3/26/02) will do 140 with default voltage. you might have to sell and hand pick that baby. people i think just expect ALOT of the 1.6 and 1.8 chips, i know i do, thats why i bought it. i bought a 2.a when they first came out and it is not nearly a good overclocker as my 1.6a.:D

Mine does "only" fsb138 stable @ default voltage. With fsb140 some games quit to windows after a few moments of playing.... but I´m fine with 2208 MHz - that are 1700 MHz more as I had six weeks ago :burn: !!

and btw: my pack date was 03/25/2002 in Costa Rica

jdmcnudgent said:

My 1.6a (3/26/02) also does 140, no sweat. I upped the voltage out of habit to 1.65, only to find that it actually ran *better* closer to stock! These 1.6a's will spoil you rotten!:burn:

jdmcnudgent said:

I don't know the pack date offhand as I'm not at my home computer yet. 133 FSB was just my first try, I expect/hope it will go further. My OCZ 2700 memory is currently at 166DDR (effectively 333), my next step will be to back the memory down to the same speed as the FSB and see how far the FSB will go.

hi, i've tried ALL versions of bios available for the bd7 from mr. natural's to abit's new beta versions, even at 1.85v the system won't post with anything above 18 x 122.

with regards to ram, i know it ain't the best ram to o/c but i've been setting it to run at 1:1 ratio so it's never been out of spec (altho i tried 4:5 and managed to find that the ram could handle 152 mhz) so is that the problem?

some people have also suggested maybe it's the m/b, has any1 else had a bad experience with abit bd7?

thanx for u're thoughts

Morpheusman said:

I don't know the pack date offhand as I'm not at my home computer yet. 133 FSB was just my first try, I expect/hope it will go further. My OCZ 2700 memory is currently at 166DDR (effectively 333), my next step will be to back the memory down to the same speed as the FSB and see how far the FSB will go.
see siggy now, i am totally happy with this, good overclock and great bandwidth.:D i have had this thing up alot higher, but in the vapo, so far, i am having heat issues. i am taking it slowly to see whats up. mem at 386, gotta love kingmax.:D

I had a BD7-RAID. That board was the reason I was running so many SIS board....cause that i845 mobo was a piece of junk. I hope this Epox that SSS has been telling me about (I'll have one Friday) does as well as everyone says it will. I'm looking for 170+ FSB from a 1.6a.

Bigsexy said:

Mine does "only" fsb138 stable @ default voltage. With fsb140 some games quit to windows after a few moments of playing.... but I´m fine with 2208 MHz - that are 1700 MHz more as I had six weeks ago :burn: !!

and btw: my pack date was 03/25/2002 in Costa Rica
that sucks, 3/20/02-3/31/02 are supposed to be great.:D

cw823 said:
I had a BD7-RAID. That board was the reason I was running so many SIS board....cause that i845 mobo was a piece of junk. I hope this Epox that SSS has been telling me about (I'll have one Friday) does as well as everyone says it will. I'm looking for 170+ FSB from a 1.6a.
i beg to differ. i am running the 8IRXP board, i845 chipset, and i love it. everyone says its a piece of garbage, but i am able to use it nicely. see siggy, but the more i think about it, i was able to get my 2.a up to 2700 with this board and this ram.:(on board lan, sound and usb 2.0. this board HAS the features, plus raid, but i dont have enough hard disks.

jdmcnudgent said:
i beg to differ. i am running the 8IRXP board, i845 chipset, and i love it. everyone says its a piece of garbage, but i am able to use it nicely. see siggy, but the more i think about it, i was able to get my 2.a up to 2700 with this board and this ram.:(on board lan, sound and usb 2.0. this board HAS the features, plus raid, but i dont have enough hard disks.

And I'll probably prove you correct when I get the Epox i845 I ordered. I think I just left the BD-7 with a bad taste in my mouth. Most important to me now is a mobo that will let me SET my PCI/AGP busses.

Back