• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DigiDoc5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aggies92

I just received the unit and will put it in this weekend. The question concerns placement of the temperature sensors. Besides the obvious placement on the cpu, where would you guys suggest putting the other 7 sensors.

Also, which fans would you control with it: My case has 6 case fans (3 intake-bottom front and left side; 3 exhaust - two rear and one on top of case). These are the only fans that I would think of controlling through the unit opting to leave the cpu/northbridge/PSU fans going full time.

The 8 measurement probes are actually quite a lot for your ( non water ) system. But they enable you to do a lot of testing. you can check out the temps of your video ram, to decide whether cooling it is a must, or you can check south and north-brige to decide whether they need more cooling.

So my setup would be:

1. CPU
2. Cooling plate ( high difference yields bad temp flow )
3. northbridge ( Them things can get ugly hot as they get all the input and output from controller circuitry like the memory, cache, and AGP, PCI controllers...)
4. HDD`s ( 7200 rpm is a hot literally )
5. RAM
6. video card gpu
7. video card ram
8. the transistors next to the cpu. even with your advanced cooling they might still be too hot ( changed v core voltage )

if any of these options sound ridiculous or have been proven ( tested ) chilly, think about this

X. sound card chip ( especally the SBLive! gets dangerously hot )
y. Southbridge ( with high throughput on EIDE and serial ports it might need a small cooler applied ( passive ))

AND if you still do not know why you paid fifty bucks for a thermometer, apply the fanspeed mod ( which i just forgot the link of ) and control your fan speeds with it.

C ya

Thanks for the words fellas. I do plan on testing with a few of the leads by moving them about. I guess I am just a bit of cooling nut....not enough to spend the dough on water though!

I don't think I'll mod the fan controls do anything more than on/off....at least until I get a different CPU fan that is a little quieter.

Thanks again.

Back