• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sk6 needs a clean up. Any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AxE

Registered
AS you can see it needs more then just a polish. What would you recommend I use to clean it up?

sk6-1.jpg

sk6-2.jpg

sk6-3.jpg

3dXtreme said:
AS you can see it needs more then just a polish. What would you recommend I use to clean it up?

blow it off first with some air and then go at it with a q-tip and some isoprophyl alcohol...

Re: Re: Sk6 needs a clean up. Any suggestions?

NASsoccer said:

blow it off first with some air and then go at it with a q-tip and some isoprophyl alcohol...

Doesnt work, I've tried. Problem is I don't think it's a smart idea to engulf the sink in isoprophyl, is it?

Put it in the dishwasher. Then clean the bottom with isoprophyl alcohol to remove any soap resedue and reapply heatsink compund.

Last edited:
yea isopropyl doesnt realy damaga the hs at all try and get the stuff that is 99% alchahol the 70% stuff had oils and crap like that added to it

Im cleaning the accessable parts with a lemon & salt mixture.
It does the trick, problem is the dust on the fins. It doesn't come off easy!

3dXtreme said:
Im cleaning the accessable parts with a lemon & salt mixture.
It does the trick, problem is the dust on the fins. It doesn't come off easy!

You were worried about using a alcohol to clean it but a acid containing solution is no problem?

:rolleyes:

Organic acids(IE. Citric Acid in Lemons) will attack the copper so I would not leave it on it for very long.

I would use a strong solvent as I bet the dust is stuck to it with either cigarette smoke resin or maybe even hairspray.

Acetone would do the trick and that is what I recommend. I sold a freind of mine a computer and I wnt back like 1 month later and the thing was all gummed with dope and cigarette resin. I had it for 6 months here and I never had a problem like that. I could barely even see the HS from all the dust. Cigarette smoke and computers do not get along. If you want to kill a computer sit right next to it and blow all you smoke into it. I have pulled apart a TV before that was all yellow on the inside from cigarette smoke same as a freind of mine, his folks gave him a TV and the whole front of it was covered with a thin brown film.

Anyway the only time I have seen dust "STICK" to a HS like the way you are suggesting is because the people were smoking around the computer when it was running.

I usually only need to hit my HS's with water if the dust is that bad and it washes right away. In 5 months time I only had a small amount on my pal6035. Enough that I didn't even need to really worry about it but I still cleaned it up.

Thanks for the advice ol' man. I don't smoke cigarettes nore does anyone who visits my room. I don't know what to tell you....

Well I'll shove some of that alcohol on it tonight, But I really doubt it will remove the film of dust. I even shoved it under the phoset and tried to move it around underwater. The damn thing is not comming off :mad:

Im not using it but I like to keeep my material in tip top shape.
I'll try the alchohol tomorrow morning.

Cheers:beer:

Back