• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem Enough To Lap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bonka

When I run my nail across the base of the AX-7 HS, I can feel the machine marks left on it. Is this enough to yield some lapping? I bought some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, will this do?

Also, I want to lap my chip (Tualatin Celeron). Is it safe to have the chip exposed to some water?

Yeah, if you can feel the marks, then lapping should yield improvement.
The 600 is perfect, that's all I use. I personally don't see the need to go further.
Don't squeeze upon the fins while holding it, you'll flex the base and end up sanding a hollow area into the center...just gentle, even pressure is all you need.

As for the Processor...I can't say. I haven't owned an Intel chip since my mighty P1 75, I'm not even sure what one looks like anymore.

Have a great one!

if u have some T-cut or brasso or simliar metal polish you can use that to finnish. you want a just-off mirror finnish so its still a little dull not totaly shiney.
have fun
panzer

i wouldn't reccomend a polish. you'd rather want ASIII to fill
in those micrscopic crevices. 600 should be fine, that is what
i use and never found the need to go higher.

i'm not to sure about the die. is it even concave?

Starfox said:
i wouldn't reccomend a polish. you'd rather want ASIII to fill
in those micrscopic crevices. 600 should be fine, that is what
i use and never found the need to go higher.

i'm not to sure about the die. is it even concave?

I agree with Starfox, polishing isn't necessary, looks nice when you're finished, but not required. The main thing is to get the surface FLAT. As for the CPU's IHS, it's really up to you. As long as you don't take off too much material, you should be fine. You also want to make sure you don't bend the pins in the process.

i have lapped two old processors - the celeron and p2 and they are fine, the tutalin is protected with a heatspreader so it should be ok, just leave it for a while to dry out if you have any doubts.

this article is an old one in the overclockers.com. i heard from many ppl polishing will always be so better. im not sure if everyone knows the article and im just late, you might want to take a look at it perhaps.

Back