• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A7A266 and Athlon 1900XP Instability...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobNelson

I have upgraded my system from a Slot A Athlon 700 and Gigabyte GA7IXE M/B to a Socket A Athlon 1900XP and ASUS A7A266 M/B running a Creative GeForce4 MX420 graphics card and a Creative SB!Live 5.1. The system is fitted with 3 SDRAM modules of 256MB each (Which are PC133).

When I initially put the system together it was unbelievably unstable - I was getting corrupt file messages and cannot read this that and the other ....

Eventully I tried turning everything down in the BIOS, my CPU runs at 1200MHz and all the options to increase RAM speed and HDD / CD speed (i.e. PIO and UDMA) are disabled and the system is now stable.

I have the latest BIOS release (1011).

I do remember that there were issues with 98/ME about the file cache and fast processers closing down early but surely these dont exist in XP?

It is almost as if whenever I try and access a device at the normal settings I am getting bus conflicts, leading to all kinds of errors, but all the drivers seem to have been installed in XP (i.e. the AGP driver, BUS Master drivers etc)

Any clues would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Rob

Solution....

After having invested the princely sum of £44 in the Win XP Pro Resource Kit and spending another few hours head scratching the problem turned out to be the IDE Cable (40 way) connecting the CD & DVD on IDE2 to the M/B.

When replaced with an 80 Way cable all the problems disappear!!

Back