• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Engineering Samples

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Misantrophia

I have the opportunity to buy a P4 Engineering Samples.
I have the choice between:

2.40GHz Northwood, 100MHz FSB, 512Kb, $440
2.40GHz Northwood, 133MHz FSB, 512Kb, $495
2.53GHz Northwood, 133MHz FSB, 512Kb, $660

Has anybody got any experience with Intel Engineering Samples
and overclocking them?
Which one would you recommend?

At the moment i have a P4 [email protected] @ 1.8V + Coolermaster HSF, which I probably will have to sell to buy one of these procs.

get the 2.4 with 100fbs, you can up that to 133 fbs+ and then screw around with the multi. for a sweet overclock. Although the multi is unlocked on these samples (i hope they are, otherwise get retail) so it doesnt really matter which one you get because you can pretty much change them all into the same chip (ie multi and fsb setting) So get the cheepist one, which is the 100fbs model. (better overclocker to)

Be careful though, if Intel manages to find out that you KNOWINGLY purchased one of these, they will not hesitate to pound down your door and take it back (and NOT give you a replacement). Intel ES's are not sold to public but rather loaned out to Intel Engineers and people of the like, and resale is NOT allowed under any circumstances.

Also, ES's are made of Beta Silicon which is not great for overclocking, but you should still be able to get a high enough FSB if you screw around with the multi a bit.

jazztrumpet216 said:
Be careful though, if Intel manages to find out that you KNOWINGLY purchased one of these, they will not hesitate to pound down your door and take it back (and NOT give you a replacement). Intel ES's are not sold to public but rather loaned out to Intel Engineers and people of the like, and resale is NOT allowed under any circumstances.

Also, ES's are made of Beta Silicon which is not great for overclocking, but you should still be able to get a high enough FSB if you screw around with the multi a bit.

I know you say that ES samples are made with inferior silicon but I have yet to see a ES sample not perform and OC just as good as its non ES counterpart.

Misantrophia said:
2.40GHz Northwood, 100MHz FSB, 512Kb, $440
2.40GHz Northwood, 133MHz FSB, 512Kb, $495
2.53GHz Northwood, 133MHz FSB, 512Kb, $660

Ehm. Engineering samples that cost the same as its retail/oem counterpart?

I just got a mail from the guy that is selling them. he says that the multipliers are not unlocked. So the deal is off

jazztrumpet216 said:

that is complete BS. Its not hard at all to get them, even small system resellers have the opportunity to get them. You are not supposed to resell them, but you make it sound like its ILLEGAL, where it is not. They cannot legally "knock down your door" to get them

Also ES's are made of Beta Silicon which is not great for overclocking, but you should still be able to get a high enough FSB if you screw around with the multi a bit.

again, BS. Its not beta silicon. It is just that the chips are usually an "older batch" of processors that are unlocked. That said, i HAVE found that these chips are not the best overclockers usually for that very reason.

nipster said:

that is complete BS. Its not hard at all to get them, even small system resellers have the opportunity to get them. You are not supposed to resell them, but you make it sound like its ILLEGAL, where it is not. They cannot legally "knock down your door" to get them

Oh yes they can. They are PROPERTY of INTEL, which means they can get them back. Why do you think they read "Intel Confidential" on the chip? They are not sold, nor resold. It is illegal, as it is technically stolen property. If you want to check, e-mail someone at Intel.

Originally posted by nipster

again, BS. Its not beta silicon. It is just that the chips are usually an "older batch" of processors that are unlocked. That said, i HAVE found that these chips are not the best overclockers usually for that very reason.

Beta Silicon is what I heard, but I have never owned an ES so I can't tell ya for 100% sure.

Now I don't want to turn this into a debate, but I know that sale/resale of an ES is not allowed and Intel can recover the chip, WITHOUT covering your losses. If you get one on accident, they are very nice about politely exchanging the processor, but if they find out you bought it knowing it was an ES, then you're up s**t creek without a paddle. As far as Beta Silicon... it's been said around here that Beta Silicon is what ES's are made of, and I can't verify it for myself.

Last edited:
jazztrumpet216 said:

Oh yes they can. They are PROPERTY of INTEL, which means they can get them back. Why do you think they read "Intel Confidential" on the chip? They are not sold, nor resold. It is illegal, as it is technically stolen property. If you want to check, e-mail someone at Intel.

:argue:

I have to step in on this. Nipster is right. What you are saying is outlandish and nowhere near believable. Some proof to back up this claim would help your case greatly. Perhaps an instance of Intel knocking down somebody's door to "get back their chip". Or failing that, as it most assuredly has never happened, even a case of them contacting local law-enforcement authorities about this stolen property of theirs and sending police to the house of this offender to retreive a sub-$500 component that couldn't hope to be deserving of such attention or worry.

The image I have of jack-booted black-clad thugs with Intel arm bands knocking on the door to somebody's house and demanding their CPU back is downright comical; it's just incredible. How would Intel find out about his possession of this CPU? How would they coordinate the tactical aspects of the retreival mission should they decide to fetch their precious sample? Under what laws are they allowed to forcibly take something from a private home? How could a chip manufacturer have the personnel resources to do such a thing? Where would they deploy from and what type of base of operations would it be? Are we to believe that they have some underground NORAD-esque command center somewhere with a large electronic map showing the locations of these sample CPUs?

What you infer leads me to believe that this is your suggestion.

Please furnish proof that this has happened once in history so that Misantropia can take the best course of action legally. You believe one thing, nipster and I believe another, so I'm sure Misantropia is getting a bit confused as he watches his thread go askew into a debate about the legal issues of obtaining what he is asking about.

My judgement says that your statements are inflammatory and untrue. I invite you to prove me wrong. When you do you will have my immediate and total concession.

donny_paycheck said:

:argue:

I have to step in on this. Nipster is right. What you are saying is outlandish and nowhere near believable. Some proof to back up this claim would help your case greatly. Perhaps an instance of Intel knocking down somebody's door to "get back their chip". Or failing that, as it most assuredly has never happened, even a case of them contacting local law-enforcement authorities about this stolen property of theirs and sending police to the house of this offender to retreive a sub-$500 component that couldn't hope to be deserving of such attention or worry.

The image I have of jack-booted black-clad thugs with Intel arm bands knocking on the door to somebody's house and demanding their CPU back is downright comical; it's just incredible. How would Intel find out about his possession of this CPU? How would they coordinate the tactical aspects of the retreival mission should they decide to fetch their precious sample? Under what laws are they allowed to forcibly take something from a private home? How could a chip manufacturer have the personnel resources to do such a thing? Where would they deploy from and what type of base of operations would it be? Are we to believe that they have some underground NORAD-esque command center somewhere with a large electronic map showing the locations of these sample CPUs?

What you infer leads me to believe that this is your suggestion.

Please furnish proof that this has happened once in history so that Misantropia can take the best course of action legally. You believe one thing, nipster and I believe another, so I'm sure Misantropia is getting a bit confused as he watches his thread go askew into a debate about the legal issues of obtaining what he is asking about.

My judgement says that your statements are inflammatory and untrue. I invite you to prove me wrong. When you do you will have my immediate and total concession.

Look, I gave a simple warning. How Intel recovers their property is none of my concern, but they do get it back. An unlocked Intel chip would be great to have, but I'm just saying that this might not entirely being on the up and up, and if it's not, then it *COULD* be a problem. As I said, if you want to verify it, e-mail Intel for their recovery procedures in a situation like this. They tend to be protective of their property, as are you and I.

And as I have pointed out, ES's are NOT for sale, so if they are resold, they are STOLEN property and they DO have the right to get it back, regardless of whether you're the one who stole it or not. THEY ARE PROPERTY OF INTEL. So if they were to contact local law enforcement, they would most likely comply. If you talk to them and say you accidentally got an ES or something, and be reasonable, they are in return.

As far as tracking, they do not have a NORAD-esque facility, but they DO hire people to keep track of chips. They also have outside contacts. They are not a covert ops organization but they do keep track of their own equipment.

I am not telling Misantropia to do anything. He can do as he wishes, all I'm doing is saying that he should be aware of what may or may not happen.

Here is my thought on whether or not they'll came breaking down your door to get their chip back. If they would resort to something like this or have people who watch out for this, would someone really take the chance and hassle of selling them on eBay. Furthermore, I believe there are people in this forum and hardocp.com forums who have ES chips. They would probably keep this hush-hush if Intel were going to come around and flex their legal muscles to get the chips back.

I have 2 myself

some people here seem to think that corporations have police powers

intel for a while cracked down on people selling ED chips on ebay, but i dont think does anymore

like i said, they are NOT hard to get, I know, or else i wouldnt have the ones i have

you basically sign a disclosure that says that the chips are property of intel, and they have the right to "reposess" them at any time

how legal that is is another question

but they wont be knocking anyone's door down, this is not nazi germany

Somewhere around here I have an ES sample of a 80286...I jsut might call Intel for laughs and see if they come get it. :)

Peace

nipster said:
you basically sign a disclosure that says that the chips are property of intel, and they have the right to "reposess" them at any time

Thank you very much.

As with anything beta, it belongs to the company. They can take it back if they please.

MospeadasDark said:
As with anything beta, it belongs to the company. They can take it back if they please.

Right. And if obtained legally, as in this scenario, they would most likely provide you with a replacement chip. So my advice to Misantrophia is to make sure this deal is on the up-and-up, and if it is, go for it. If not, I'd avoid it.

Back