Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

asus a7m266d bridge hs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-24-02, 11:04 AM Thread Starter   #1
heezer7

10 Year Badge

asus a7m266d bridge hs

Should i order a blue orb HSF to replace the HS on the mobo when it ships or order a new one?

Lots of SETI Power! | Heat
heezer7 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-24-02, 12:41 PM   #2
donny_paycheck
Inactive Super Quad Mod

Call me a hypocrite because I have a blorb on my GF3 GPU, but I don't care for the orbs much. Their fans aren't great in quality; single ball bearing and they come unbalanced easily. For a good nb HSF on a 760MPX board I would get a Mega Mite from 1coolPC. Northbridge cooling isn't so critical with 760MPX boards because they don't really hit extreme FSB speeds like KT266A/KT333 boards can. I would just pop the passive HS off and put some Arctic Silver on it, then put it back on.

The best thing for you to do, though, would be to get a small 40x40mm fan and attach it to the Asus passive NB HS after you put AS2/AS3 between it and and NB chip.

6GB Corsair Dominator
XFX GeForce GTX 285
WD Raptor 150GB / Hitachi 1TB
Antec P182 / PCP&C Silencer 750
Samsung 2232GW

Sic vis pacem, para bellum.
donny_paycheck is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-24-02, 07:18 PM   #3
Jon
Just Another Retired Moderator

10 Year Badge

I would definately just get a nice size fan for the heatsink that's already on there. It's a big one as it is and works well...much better than an orb would do, in my opinion.

I did exactly what Donny suggested and super-glued a 40mm fan to one of mine. Plenty enough cooling for all that you'll be able to overclock it.

Old 05-24-02, 09:46 PM   #4
Yodums

No offence, orbs suck as a north bridge cooler. I had one, I lapped it + AS3 and it did worst than my regular one with the factory thermal pad. They dont even cover the entire chipset. Their fans aren't great either.

The factory heatsink that comes with the board + a good fan, lapped + Arctic Alumina (Highly recommended since there is electronics around the board and AS3 may shorten them if they get on it).

If your heatsink doesn't have a fan, then add one it helps!

Yodums

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
Yodums is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.