• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going about modding the CoolerMaster ATC-110

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Continuum83

Registered
ok, basically i would like to mod the ATC 110 to mimic this mod http://www.falcon-nw.com/exotix.asp, i think it way kewl, and would like to know if i have to do anything special since its an aluminum case, or can i just follow the sticky post of painting cases, above?

... also anyother kewl ideas with the atc 110 are welcome :)

I'd say that's purty.

If the aluminum is 'brush finished' you'll have a lot of wet-sanding to do before painting. Primer's pretty good at filling sanding marks, but it can't level off a brushed aluminum finish to an automotive grade smoothness.
From there out, it's gonna be the same as the sticky.

Nice case to emulate though...have fun!

That is definitely a nice case! Some ideas...

-Add a window, like a decent sized rectangular window on the side.

-W/ window: Cold cathode, EL, LED, or some kinda lighting inside.

-To keep a nice profile, I'd stealth the optical drives.

-If you wanna add a really cool look, add a window on the top too.

-For ventilation, you could add a blowhole on the top, front, back, pretty much anywhere.

yea, i will have to find out where or not it is brush finished... also heres what i am thinking:

- ok, i think that window mods are really kewl, but i am not sure whether or not i should do that yet... i think what i may try is to paint the case as the one by falcon-nw, and then replace the blue LEDs with super-bright LEDs [blue], and then cut some slits on the bottom part of the sides (like maybe two slits on each side of equal length that run almost the whole side), so i can kinda let a cathode tube [blue] shine out from the case..... what do you think?

i am not sure how much light will come out from other places of the case, but i intend to try and make the light only emanate from the lower part of the sides...

....a what? think you lost me there, lol; i am not up with the hip case modding terminology :)

Nevermind what I said lastnight, lol.

That would be really cool if you did that. Definitely post pictures and such.

yea, $399 for the paint job is crazy, thats why i think i can do it...uhh...<cough>...myself... lol, it will be an experience :) ... oh and i will post some picks, i will prob start practicing with an old case or something next weekend or so... never painted a case before, but if the case turns out as i hope, i will get some picks...

The 110 is brush finished.

I can't see the Falcon site from here at work, but I'll have a look when I get home and compare it to my 110.

I plan to stealth the drives on mine (cool door or not, they still look naff when in use) and do something with my Livedrive so that I can actually shut the damn door! ;)

<later> Just looking at my case now. Top is smooth, sides are only lightly brushed, very smooth. I'd say no problem :)

Didn't twig that it was only a paint job until I managed to get to their site from home, I don't think you'll have too much trouble.</later>

Wolfen.

Last edited:
kewl thanks for the info, i think i am gonna order the 110 today, and also, if you can, please let me know what you do about the live drive to make it fit .. i may run into that situation... thanks again!

The problem is with the two gain knobs for the mike and headphones, everything els will fit behind the door.

The only thing I've come up with yet is to remove the plastic knobs, remove the plastic front panel. make up an aluminium front for the thing, cut down the potentiometer spindles and mount some much shorter alu or mock-alu knobs on there.

Anyone see any potential problems with this? Anyone done something like this to a livedrive?

Wolfen.

yea, that seems the most workable option, i dont know, i guess just cutting down the knobs would do the trick, but just make sure that the knobs will go that deep into the housing of the knob ... i suppose they are somewhat conical and have a base with a greater radius than the other? (i dont know i dont have one)... so make sure it still will fit...

Back