• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow, i'm impressed by this Alpha PAL8045!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morbid

Nitpicker
Well, let's just get this out in the open before I say anything else. Our AC is broke! They won't come fix it since it's not an emergency (not over 90 degrees outside) and they said no staff is on hand due to the holiday weekend! :mad: :rolleyes:

Anyway... here's my CPU idling at 40c because ambient is 35c. So, I said screw it and went ahead and played some Quake3. After about 2 hours of intense quakin, I come out, check my temp... only 42c. Then it glides back down to 39c.

I'm very impressed with this Alpha on keeping my 1800+ in a reasonable range given the environment. I guess that Arctic Silver 3 helps too. ;)

We're moving into a house at the moment, so I should be there and have a working AC. Also i'll be able to finally get DSL! YAY!

Again, kudos to Alpha for thier excellent HSF. ;) :D :beer:

Lord_of_Decay said:
The Alpha PAL8045 is a great Heatsink, just swapped that out in favor of watercooling.:burn:

I can understand... i'll go water-cooled eventually, I think. ;)

I will have to take a pic some time but I figured out a mod that may help the 8045 like it helped my 6035. What I did was take a piece of 3/8" copper plate and cut out a rectangle the size of the copper plate on the bottom of my alpha and then with silver solder soldered it to the copper slug in the bottom of the alpha.

My temps dropped about 5 deg. C and I am now running my rig at 1.6GHz and 1.625v panaflo 60mm running at 9v. So far prime has been stable for the last 5 hours.

I am not sure if you saw how I made a copper waterblock on the stove here is a link. You could do this mod the exact same way.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48752

Here is a pic tutorial on how to do it!
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49297

Back