• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the temperature gauge suspose to be touching the CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drexel

Because if it is, then my CPU was running at literally 90 C, before I got this fan! It is now at around 60 C

If it isnt, then am I suspose to push it down all the way to the motherboard as far as it will go to get an accurate reading?

The little thing below the cpu, isnt this the temperature gauge?

It can be pushed down, or pulled up.

Oh, the in-socket thermister! I know now.

It's best to have it touch the underside of the CPU, because then you get a better reading (still not actual, but closer).

You might wanna ask around in the Other AMD Motherboards part of the forum to get an answer on how accurate that particular thermister is.

Yeah, but if its not good to run a CPU over a certain amount, then what do I do? Maybe its running at 40 with it down, and 60 with it up, so I upgrade, and fry the damn thing. I HATE COMPUTERS, AND THE COMPANIES THAT DONT GIVE DETAILS IN MANUALS!!!

it ran at 90c UNTIL u got THIS fan?

omg, Im baffled that it didnt melt, and when you said that you got THIS fan, did you mean you DIDNT have a fan before?

AMD Spec sez something like 90c before burn up for processors lower than 1000Mhz. His board was pro'lly off a bit (hopefully off a LOT!)

I had a fan on it, it was some double fan. One fan on top of the other. Yeah, it actually got to 99C frequently. Probably everyday.

Thats, because the heatsink wasnt even attached to the CPU tight enough. If I pulled one side up, it would life like quarter of an inch off. I put it on better, got new grease, and a new fan. Now it only gets to 62 max.

Jesus Christ on a bicycle! I'd get a new heatsink if I were you, and I'd get it soon! Something along the lines of a Thermalright AX7 or an Alpha PAL 8045T, specially if you're gunna be upgrading to a 1000Mhz+ Duron!

Damn, I'm shocked you still HAVE a processor!

I already got a new fan, and heatsink though. Didnt I say this already? Maybe I just said fan. Anyways, I bought a Volcano 6 cu just a few weeks ago.

Cool, I just posted a topic on case cooling, before seeing this. Help me out in it if you know anything about that could help please.

Back