• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARGHH! What is this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

You know when you either shutdown or restart you computer and sometimes these "end task" screens with progresss bars appear?.... Well I've reinstalled WinXP Pro about 6-7 times over the last few weeks and when shutting down my 'puter I see this end task window named "you should not see me" popup. The past installations it only appeared a few times and was to quick to read, BUT WHAT THE F#UCK IS THIS?????????

You're seeing that particular dialog because there's an app that's not shutting down within the time limit set by Windows (it's more a problem with the app than it is with the following Registry values). There's three Registry keys that relate to killing an app...

1. "HungAppTimeout" in...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Control Panel | Desktop
The default Binary Value is 5000 (or 5 seconds/5000 milliseconds)

2. "WaitToKillAppTimeout" in...
The default Binary Value is 20000 (or 20 seconds/20000 milliseconds)

3. "AutoEndTasks" in...
The default Binary Value is 0

Using the above values as an example, if the app in question doesn't respond within 5 seconds of using the "Shutdown" command...you'll see the dialog "You should not see me". The dialog's progress indicator will extend through 20 seconds of wait time (as set by the "WaitToKillTimeout" value)...if the app doesn't shut down within the specified time, another dialog will open asking if you want to "End Task".

The "AutoEndTasks" Binary default value of 0 means that Windows will not automatically kill the app in question, but will go through the routine as I've noted above...setting the value to 1 will kill the app if it hasn't closed down before the timed out value.

You could try increasing the TimeOut values, or possibly setting the "AutoEndTasks" to 1 (try this as a last resort, because you might lose any unsaved data in the hung app). You can change the values by right-clicking the "Binary Value" in the RH pane | select "Modify" | and entering a new value in the "Value Data" field. ;)

Last edited:
Back