• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KX7-333R + Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edien

I'm very new to overclocking and have been doing some research on the best boards to buy. After going through a rough desicion between the Epox 8k3a+ and Abit KX7-333R i have chosen the Abit. Only problem now, i find that the max Vcore setting is only 1.85v. How good would this board be overclocking wise? I've read that the speed of the CPU is the Multiplier x FSB, meaning that if i got the FSB to 200mhz and set the multipier to 13 the results would be 2600mhz?Oh yeah, are there any disadvantages of having integrated audio / lan ect on motherboards, thats one reason I chose the KX7-333R (I read that having integrated components even if disabled can cause problems) Pardon the little newbie questions ):burn:
Where can i read info on the basics of overclocking?

Last edited:
There's a beginners guide on the front page...that's a good place to start. :)

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:
Edien said:
Where can i read info on the basics of overclocking?
Read up on both links above & when you have more specific questions just post back here & we will be glad to help. Good Luck & enjoy the boards:beer:
Edien said:
.....i have chosen the Abit. Only problem now, i find that the max Vcore setting is only 1.85v. How good would this board be overclocking wise?
Well that is one thing the Epox has, overvoltage, that I was hoping Abit would do. The only option you have now is to do a VoltMod to get the voltage higher than 1.85V but for now concentrate on the basics first. Abit MoBos are very O/Cer friendly when you take the time to understand the BIOS & most if not all the parameters. They give you so many options & laid out cleanly in different menus that it's a joy to work with.
Edien said:
I've read that the speed of the CPU is the Multiplier x FSB, meaning that if i got the FSB to 200mhz and set the multipier to 13 the results would be 2600mhz?
Yup that's right, FSB X Multiplier Value = MHz but to get there is not as simple as it may seem.
Edien said:
Oh yeah, are there any disadvantages of having integrated audio / lan ect on motherboards, thats one reason I chose the KX7-333R (I read that having integrated components even if disabled can cause problems)
That's right. Sometimes even if you disable them they still hog some IRQs & all so it's much wiser to go w/o any onboard stuff.

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

check the sticky in the memory thread to find out what all of the BIOS settings for the ram mean.

and read around the forums, u will pick up a lot about o/c'ing and computers in general.

Go through all the beginners guides and learn as much as u can, remember cooling is a very important factor to o/c'ing.

gather info and post any questions u might have, ill be monitoring this thread for you:)

-Malakai

Over time youll notice a vortex linked between your computer and your wallet, like some of us :cool: Im getting that same abit board b/c of its o/c features., but minus the raid. I plan and recommend on dropping your multi if you have it unlocked and raising your fsb to 166mhz, changing the fsb/pci/ ratios, youll have much better system performance if the pipeline to the proc is larger.

Back