• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Celeron 700 slighly faster > P4-1.4G HP-Notebook in FlaskMPEG???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peter007

I'm very disappointed with the SCORE I just saw, hopefully it is just a anomality in my friends brand-new State of the ART HP-P4 laptop.

Here is the test setup: Using FlaskMpeg with LSX-Adobe Premiere Plugin to Squeeze a DVD-VOB file into SVCD complaint stream of 480x480 Resolution VBR.

My Celeron 700 (OC to 83mhz x 10.5 = 872mhz), I get around 8 fps using MMX Optimized IDTC

My friends 1G Athlon (non-oc) crank out 12-14fps using the Athlon 3D Now Optimized IDTC
Now here is the shocker

HP P4-1400 laptop is putting out only 7.6 fps - 9fps, despite the fact that we're using a Highly Pentium 4 Optimized Version of a FlaskMPEg with "SSE2 IDTC"

If that is the Pentium's 4's performance on FlaskMPEG, I stay away from P4 and go straight for the Tualatin.

Anyone else with P4 and SVCD-Creation passion like to comment on it? Like to get some input on this

Mobile P4s and desktop P4s are two different chips. All laptops will be slower than their counterpoint desktop machine. Was the notebook pluged in when it was doing this, or was it running of battery power? THe mobile P4s throttle way down in speed when running off the battery to extend its life. Also the laptop probally has SDRAM which we know is a bottle neck for the P4. Laptops are ment for typing and webbrowsing. They can do light duty graphics and presentations, but I would never use a laptop to encode.

i agree, to be fair you would have to use a desktop to compare, but yes a 1.2PIII tualatin laptop would whoop a 1.4P4 laptop....

Try this, go to your powersave settings, change it to home/desktop and plug the AC adapter in, now you should be running at full UNthrottled speeds, try it now =)

Any Idea how I can Tell if the P4 Processor is a P4-Mobile or a Desktop Northwood slabbed into a laptop case. I know Dell is famous or (infamous rather) for using desktop Pentium III/Celerons for its Notebook which cause quite a few Overheating return as reported in TheRegister.co.uk

Too bad I don't have my friend's laptop with me to redo another test. The Laptop was Plug-IN to the house, so the SpeedStep shouldn't have affect the test. I'll have to readjust the control panel next time.

Back