• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best overclock and best stable BIOS for 8k3a?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peppo

Registered
What is the best BIOS for 8k3a?
I'm currently using the latest one from Epox's site, is there a beta BIOS that offers more stability / better overclocks?

thank you for reply

which bois excatly are you using?

im guessing since you say the latest it might be the 8k3a2328.exe dated: 3/28/2002
if so what are you running at right now?
I am using the 8k3a2312.exe dated 3/12/2002 and i am running at 166fsb turbo timings. I only have Corsair xms2400 C2 and it maxes out at 170 but that takes 3.1v vdimm. I used to use the 2328 but the memory scores weren't as good even if i clocked it higher, also when using the 2312 bios and using the same tweaks fot the the videocard i was able to get my 3dmark within 100 points of 10k. before when i usd the 2328 bios i was getting 9600'ish.
the fsb didn't go as high, with the 2312 but the performance was alot better.
Some people have encountered unstability with the 2312 though.
all i encountered was a lower fsb but at the lower fsb i got alot better performance. Epox says not to use the beta bios as they don't support it but some say that it fixes alot of the problems that they are having. I believe the latest beta bios is the 2508. I haven't hear alot about this one. You can go to www.aoafiles.com and download different bios's for your mobo and try a few out, because everyone rig's is not the same and because of that the bios's may have different effects on different rig's. for example some say that the 2508 bios is the best, and others say that its worse than the 2312 bios. another palce to find out about the different bios's is to go to www.aoaforums.com/forum they have an epox tech there, and they have alot more threads on the different bios's and people experiences with those bios's
my personal opinion is to try the 2312 bios and although you may not get as high of a fsb it will perform alot better. The best way to find the best bios is to try them out.

[EDIT]: another thing is with the 2328 bios i was able to get my ram up tp 185 with 3.2v dimm with relaxed timmings and cas 2.5 but the performance was less than 166 turbo timings.

another thing is

another thing is the epox boards seem to have a problem with setting between 134fsb and 165 fsb, when set at any of these fsb's is automatically ran the ram asyncronisally(spelling) and added 33mhz to the ram. So if you were to set the ram at 134, the ram would be running at 167(134+33) reguardless of what you set the settings at in the bios. But at 133 the ram runs at 133 and at 166 and above it ran at what you set it at. therefore the 8k3a would be best suited for having an unlocked chip or having good ram when over clocking the fsb between 134-165.
i could not sun my ram with the 2312 bios above 137 because the ram crapped out above 170 so when i set it at 137 it was running at 170(137+33).
Hopefully epox is try to fix this with another bios.

133/166

set ram timing to 100 to compensate for this problem, then it runs with the FSB clock.

i found it made a difference in clockage, but performance sucked.

unlockage is really the only way to go, or get the wallet out like i did and buy an MP2000+, unlocked, running 1.9 gig out of the box, 10x190 or 10.5x181. it actually runs better at the 181 setting, after a sufficient burnin, things may change.

the higher memory bandwidth is attained with unlockage, hands down, period, not really open for discussion.

plus, the whole system is much crisper, it really responds, much like a well tuned car engine.

baldy

:cool:

with a locked chip it will be hard to overclock at all, due to Epox not liking FSB between 133-165, so booting up at default X and a FSB or 166 will be a stretch. You wil HAVE to unlock it to get the performace that the chip and board are capable of.

Id nt recommend setting the mem to 100..just my2c

Back