• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can switches do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mixednutt

I am a very confused and possibly dissapointed person. I went over to circuit city to buy a NIC and found this great deal where I could get a 5 port switch for $40 if I bought it with the NIC and get a $40 mail in rebate, essentially getting the switch for free. So, I go with the deal assuming that switch is another name for hub(ok, you can laugh now if you want) and I now realize the great possibility of my error. Can a switch be used like a hub?

~Mix~

absolutly!!

well, actually a switch is better than a hub!!

w/ a hub, when rig.A send something (a request/find a file/anything. etc.) to rig.E, it have to search through all rigs.B~D everytime in order to find rig.E like a small town w/ many streets. in order to drive to ur friends house, u have to drive through every single street to find it.

w/ a switch, rig.A could send it directly (like they have their own highway) to rig.E w/out search the own local network for it.

hope it make sense to u.

Thank you so much. I was so affriad that I had just gone through all that rebate crap for a worthless hunk of plastic. I really appreciate your help, thanks.

~Mix~

Back