• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan question cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxsicknessxx

Disabled
i got a asus 333 mother board and 512 coraser 2700 ram, lets see a 80 gig 7200 hardrive.. 52x cd player.. xp athlon 1800..

nothing is over clocked.. 1800 is at 1500.. somthing

now what should my voltage and stuf like that be? im wondering? the temp hits 54 c at most.. playing star ward jedi knigts to for about 2 half hours strait.. i want it coolder im using a good fan..

cpucooler.. with heat pipes.. would it help to get a diff fan on top? i tell u the volcano looked alot better.. but i dunno.. also do the cleaning kits.. work good to get the thream grese off?

Well, those temps are a bit warm, but not unheard of. If you aren't overclocking, they do seem a bit high. What's your room temp? Your case temp?

Do you have any case fans yet? An 80mm exhaust fan pointing outward near the back of your computer might make a few degrees difference outright.

What speed fan is on that heatsink?

As for cleaning kits, I've never tried them. As I understand it, isopropyl alcohol is the way to go. Go to arcticsilver.com to get detailed directions on applying and removing their thermal paste. (Which also includes a very brief paragraph on removing other thermal greases. -- Paul

What kind of fan and heatsink are you using? Also, what kind f thermal paste are you using, and did you put a paper thin coat of it on the CPU?

I am not sure but I think you are saying you have a CPU cooler with heatpipes? Maybe the Coolermaster HHC-001? If so that is a good heatsink. As for cleaning use some rubbing alcohol on a qtip (just enough to coat but not enough to drip) to clean off the old thermal compound. If you are not overclocking or overclocking slightly I would not worry about voltage. If you start to overclock and your system becomes unstable then bump up the voltage slightly to increase stability.

54C is a bit high, but not to the point that the CPU is going to burn up. My self, I don’t like temps in the 50's, and that is pretty much the general consensus.

As for changing the fan, what kind of fan do you have on it? More importantly than the fan you have on your heatsink, how is your case flow? Good case cooling is just as if not more important than CPU cooling. Even the best CPU heatsink can’t keep the CPU cool if the temps in your case are high. My case temps are around 26C. I could never get under that with conventional cooling.

I believe your mobo reads the on die sensor of the CPU. These temps are more accurate than other board that have in socket thermistors. You can't compare your temps to others that use in socket thermistors. Your temps are fine.

Back