• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Note for Those Using my Seti Queue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
My cable company just changed my IP which was somewhat surprising since it has been the same for about 9 months. It is now 66.188.73.140, but I suppose now would be a good time to setup a No-IP account so that this won't be a future problem.

That is how I have the UT Server set up, as well as the site, it is all ran through no-ip, works great, Odd thing is my IP hasn't changed in all this time, It was what it is prior to me being kicked out. Then on the other side of town it was the same, and here it is back to the same, I think my cable company just may be cheap on IP's.

J :cool:

SpeeDj said:
That is how I have the UT Server set up, as well as the site, it is all ran through no-ip, works great, Odd thing is my IP hasn't changed in all this time, It was what it is prior to me being kicked out. Then on the other side of town it was the same, and here it is back to the same, I think my cable company just may be cheap on IP's.

J :cool:

hey J, do u have problem/trouble from ur cable company for serving UT?? do u use up lots of bandwidth??

'cos i wanna serve something else beside setiqueue, but i'm afraid they will notice the usage of the bandwidth & kick me out.... when i back to full crunching power, my server will average more than serving 220~280/day. that's for download that many from Berkeley, upload that many to all the client/user, plus receive the result from them and upload the result back to Berkeley. imagin that roughly 341k of each WU, x 200+ from berkeley, x 200+ to user, + all the result.

341k x 220+ x2 (WUs from berkeley & to user + results (back & forth to berkeley & from user) = around 150+MB/day!! times 30, that's over 4.5G of traffic / month!!! that's even more than most web site out there!!

i'm afraid i'll be receiving phone call from my cable company and start questioning me how do i use that much bandwidth!!?? :rolleyes:

4.5 gigs is really nothing to worry about. I had a CS server running and I was lookign at 10gig per week 1 way. So thats 80gig per month. Then at one point I had another server which was an additional 6gig 1 way per month. You pay for the bandwith, its liek saying if I watch too manyTV shows they are goign to shut off my cable.

Watch out, as some of the companies have a "fair access" agreement in the fine print. If they decide that you're exceeding that amount then they will give you a hard time. Most home accounts are not to be used for any kind of serving.

TC said:
Watch out, as some of the companies have a "fair access" agreement in the fine print. If they decide that you're exceeding that amount then they will give you a hard time. Most home accounts are not to be used for any kind of serving.

yeah, that's what i am understanding!!

but how much is too much?? also, even tho if i don't serve other users, i still could do 100+WU/day easily. will they shut me down just b/c i crunch too much seti?? :rolleyes:

Well, I've signed up for @home now broken down to Rogers, and I (Well my dad), never had signed a letter saying we have an down and up limit. However the people I've been talking to say that there is limits of 10gig down and 5 gig up.

Yodums

TC said:
My cable company just changed my IP which was somewhat surprising since it has been the same for about 9 months. It is now 66.188.73.140, but I suppose now would be a good time to setup a No-IP account so that this won't be a future problem.

Maybe this is the problem I had trying to access your server. Good thing you found out about it.

Re: Re: Note for Those Using my Seti Queue

craigiz1 said:

Maybe this is the problem I had trying to access your server. Good thing you found out about it.
Nah they did this about 4 PM this afternoon. I keep my router staticly configured and all of the sudden everything went dead. Had to switch it back to dynamic and pick up a new IP.

I have been running my Webserver and my SetiQeue, on my cable connection for some time now..I use No-up as well...I have never had a letter or a phone call from my broadband ISP (Time-Warner Cable)

if anyone needs a qeue to use...its always up...well...its down about 1 hour per month..unless major electrical storms....cuz its at my house...you can use www.madmodders.com:5517

Back