• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling advice. Is this a good setup??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's the Overclockershideout.com set up with the Z4 waterblock, I haven't read too much good about their stuff, your better off going with someone like dangerden.

Just to comment on a few features of that set up..

500GPH 12V DC Pump with standard 4pin Molex Connector

It's been questioned how durable a 12volt pump is plus you need to run this thing off your power supply.

Only use clean distilled water with the pump. Do not use anti-freeze, water wetter, or any other additives as these may cause failure of the pump and will void your warranty.

There should be no reason a good pump couldn't handle these additives, that's just another reason I wouldn't go with their pump.

Do some searching on overclockershideout on here, see what others think about that set up.

I searched the forums there. It doesn't look like it gets much traffic.
Is a Peltier a useful addition to a setup like the above or is it not compatible??

I know a friend who bought the z4, It's not "bad" but it definetly isn't as good as ordering individual parts. If you want the best system I would research all the components...i.e:
WB (critical, you will not find a clear winner)
radiator
pump
res (if applicable, personaly i'd go inline)
get tubing and tube mounting things at hardware stores much much cheaper.

as far as peltiers are concerned, just plain watercool until you get the hang of it then consider a peltier, there are a lot of risks and pains that go with pelts. do a search for peltiers and you can find the pro's and con's.

Good luck

ATC9001 said:

get tubing and tube mounting things at hardware stores much much cheaper

I recommend Tygon tubing and your not going to find it in a Hardware store.

Heres a thread on Tygon Tubing...Its expensive but its the best ;)

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90069&highlight=tygon

Regarding the rest of your questions, I recommend an Eheim pump and a good waterblock, there are so many great blocks I suggest you just do a little research, maybe use our search button.

Watercooling is the best solution without dishing out the big bucks for a Vapochill or similiar and H20 setups are pretty quiet (thats basicly why I got in h20 cooling as I detest a noisy pc)

I would play around with straight h20 cooling and think about playing with peltiers at a later point.

OK. I'm NOW thinking about the Innovatek Water Cooling Kit. Anyone have an opinion about this more costlier kit??

http://www.highspeedpc.com/index.htm?item114.htm

Looks like Danger Den has some good stuff there too:rolleyes: They offer Tygon tubing and the Eheim AC pumps. I know the Maze 2 is a good block, but is the Maze 3 better?? The Maze 3 is less expensive:eh?: :eh?: :eh?:

Last edited:
My entire water cooling stuff came to a grand total of about $220. all of the waterblocks are from danger den (Maze3, gpu cooler, and northbridge cooler. I chose silicon tubing. I orderd a 86 chevette heatercore and and a Via Aqua 1300 pump. Im going to be putting it all in later this week.

My advice to you would be to spend all day searching the forums, and looking up everything out there about Watercooling.
It's not really hard, but people do make mistakes and so on...
Just look through all the info out there and you'll gain confidence and build your own cooling sys.:D

If you stilll feel like you need a kit, get one of the Dtek kits, lol my favorite!! (wink wink)

Dtek kit

b8ng8 said:
My advice to you would be to spend all day searching the forums, and looking up everything out there about Watercooling.
It's not really hard, but people do make mistakes and so on...
Just look through all the info out there and you'll gain confidence and build your own cooling sys.:D

If you stilll feel like you need a kit, get one of the Dtek kits, lol my favorite!! (wink wink)

Dtek kit

That D-Tek kit is just as nice as many others but PRE-ORDERS are temporarily not available :(

I would just go with DangerDen, Swiftech or Innovatek as all have good support(D-tek does as well)

Checking out Danger Den and this is what I came up with:

MAZE3 , 1/2 Fittings, Brass Fittings, Black Ice Xtreme, 1/2 OD Fittings BLACK, Eheim 1048, 7 Feet Tygon Tubing, 4oz Water Wetter, 10 Hose Clamps & T-Fitting' priced at $193.55

I think this is adequate.

Looks like a pretty good setup, but if you have the room iwould recommend getting the heatercore.(but then u would neeed to make a shroud, and thats maybe more than u need nm)

If you go to a good auto parts store they usually have a catalog of heater cores. Take the dimensions of your case and you won't pay too much. The toyota truck core that I bought was 20 bucks and fit perfect.

Best setup..

DangerDen Maze2-1 (this way you have support for a peltier later)

Via Aqua 1300 Pump

Vinyl Tubing .. or Tygon if u have the cash

Get a Black Ice radiator or the DangerDen SuperCube

I'd recommend a 170mm fan.. get you 230+ CFM at the same noise level as a 120mm fan.

You will spend around 200 at most... get 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing.

Make your resevior from a tupperware.. or like a plastic storage bin.. those make great reseviors.

I also have a power supply for peltiers I am getting rid of.. PM me if you are interested in getting it. Be good for later use so you don't have to search for days and days finding a PSU to power a pelt.

You can do what I did and buy DD first and then slowly switch it out to D-teks goods. Your choice. I'm 90% done converting. I would get:

TC-4 waterblock
En 1048 pump
Pro Rad with 2 shrouds
tygon tubing

Is there a performance difference between the Maze 2 and 3's??
Also, what is the purpose of a resevoir? Are they needed?

Actually.. about 2 weeks after I got my AS3 from Icee computers they e-mailed me and asked me how it was working and making sure I was happy with it.

Very nice to deal with.

Back