• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5in lcd as mp3 computer display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

millertime

im making a mp3/lan machine and i want to use a small (5 in) lcd for the display. can any of you lead me to a site that has some explanations on how to do this. thanks

Check some more larger ones out on ebay here. I posted something on this earlier, my question was could you use an ATI tv all in wonder card as a second PCI v-card? I wanted to drop a larger LCD screen into the 5 1/4 bayes. Maybe using 3 5 1/4 bayes for the LCD. This is still in the works, looking to be an awsome mod when finished.

Save your self some money and get the lcd from here if you want that 4" one. I am also in the prosses of doing the same thing but i dont have the money for an lcd but personlly i would highly recomend going to a bigger lcd. Go with the 5.6 for $50 it will make a huge difference.

LCDs

Ok, I got a question. My friend has about thirty 10" LCD screens (Mono-chrome), and about five 10" color. But these are just the screen itself, no video controller. I'm wondering if anyone has a link to schematics (<--SP?), to build a controller so that we could use them.

NOW, what would be sweet would be to plug a LCD into a dual monitor capable video card (or add another spare lying around, you know you all have one) and have two separated displays. are there Svid to vga converters/connectors out there? Boy that would be sweet.

I have looked for a long time and have not been able to find any schematics. IMO the best way to get one of these controllers is to find one for like $50 on ebay. They are on there every once and a while you just have to look. Then you find the wireing diagram for your lcd and the diagram for the controller and hook them up accordingly.

I wanted to use the LCD as a second display also. If I had a deticated PCI card with tv-out could i use the LCD as a second display.

I had the same question, seems noone here has tried it. Check compatibility here before you purchase everything, but be warned that page is from microsoft and I doubt they have every single video card tested with there OS. I plan on purchasing an all in wonder 128 (PCI) to test this out. So if it doesnt work, Im only out like 70 bucks, but if it does I will be building an awsome case with multiple LCD's.

Edit: Sorry I read your post again. It looks like all you want to do is attach an LCD to the TV out of a PCI card. Yes they is very do-able. Been done many times. Just run the S-Video out to an RCA converter and plug it in.

CrystalMethod: Please PM me all of the sticker information on the back of your LCDs. I might be able to find some more information for you. Building an LCD controller would be a huge engineering feat because it's converting an analog signal back into a digital one.

Okay, first I have to step back and take a deep breatch because I'm about to answer EVERYBODY'S QUESTIONS at the same time...
:eek:
Here goes

1. LCDs below 9" in size are not likely to draw any resolutions past 320 x 240.

2. Most LCD screens under 10" are used for video. Here are two ways you could use one as a second display.

a. I HATE TV-out, but it's fairly cheap to buy a PCI video card with TV-out. And you'll only be drawing 2D on your secondary display anyways.

b. IF your video card has dual-display support and the second is a DVI connector, you need to find buy a DVI receiver. LCD screens run on a pure digital signal which DVI supplies. the DVI receiver simply feeds the right frequency to the right cables. If you're careful this can be the least expensive solution.

c. In order to use them with via a video card supports dual-display all you need is a scan convertor. It will resample and convert VGA to RCA or S-Video. PCStop.com sells the TVator for $73, which can draw 1024 x 768 (if your display can handle that).

3. LCD controllers are platform specific and LCDs come with one of 10 different connections. The only three cable standards are LVDS, TMDS, and 20-pin MDR. SO, if you get a controller you'll have to find an LCD with the same connection and vice-versa.

4. LCD controller video cards are currently very hard to find and/or purchase. There are several for sale on ebay, but they do not include the cables and only support displays with LVDS connectors. The majority of these video cards are ATI RAGE LT based and AGP. Any other available chipsets have deplorable drivers.

5. Schematics can usually be obtained by calling the company that made it or finding a spec sheet on a controller that has the same connection type.

PHEW!!

Anymore questions?
:cool:

Back