• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newhere, quick question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpecVman

Can't find BIOS Voltage settings

Hey everyone, what a great site!

I've just finished setting up my system (P4 1.6Northy AsusP4S333-M 256PC2700 Maxtor60Gig7200 GF3Ti200128DDR 300W Power) and after running benchmarks and testing I found I cant get it higher than 2133 in either manual or auto mode... Any suggestions? Anything higher than that it won't post, it runs stable @ 2133 @ 47C...

Any advice would be great!

Last edited:
Your probably gonna need to bump the CPU voltage some, try one increment at a time and keep and eye on your temps. You can see how high I had to go with my 1.6A for example in my signature.

Your CPU load temp is 47 degrees, so you need better cooling before you even think of increasing voltage. You also only have a 300 watt power supply, that's kind of wimpy for a P-4. Minimum for overclocking is 350 watt and a 400 watt PS is better yet (the Antec TruePower 430 watt PS is nice).

I"m running at 40C but my ASUS PCPROBE is running the latest version (16.something I'm at work) but I hear there is an update to run so it'll register temps BELOW 40C because I think I"m running cooler...

Here's my question... How do I raise the voltage on my CPU?? I don't see any settings for that in my BIOS (ASUS P4S333-M)....

Thanks!

In the first post you're saying the temp is 47 when overclocked. I don't see any mention of cooling, so I'm guessing you have the crappy retail heatsink and crappy thermal pad. You need Arctic Silver thermal paste at a minimum. Now you claim that you think your temps are ok? The only time your CPU temp might go below 40 degrees is at idle and idle temps don't mean anything. If your load temps at that mild of an overclock are getting into the upper 40's then you need better cooling. Also, you need a better power supply. Not sure why newbies are in such denial and won't take my advice. You raise the voltage now and the temps will go through the roof.

Also, you need a better power supply. Not sure why newbies are in such denial and won't take my advice.

I must be in denial then cause my Enhance 300watt crappy supply runs my machine rock solid that way it is right now. A bigger supply is always a plus but he needs to worry about dropping money on cooling first then work on the power supply if his machine isn't stable when he overclocks it.

Last edited:
I have two intake fans and one exaust, it is a retail HS on the CPU and I haven't seen my temp above 40, I was mistaken, don't ask. Is there some sort of update for Asus probe? I hear it won't registed CPU temps under 40C ??

Back to my voltage question....???
How do I rais it then? Do I need to do the pin mod?

Also I'm adding a blowhole on the top for better airflow and some thermal paste to the HS.

Check the instructions to your bios, the option should be in there. Take care of the thermal paste and reseat the heatsink before you start playing with the voltage.

Ha, I've never heard of a retail cooler keeping a Northwood below 40 degrees full load CPU temps. What program are you using to load the CPU? Try Prime95 or something like that and I think you'll be quite surprised. I'll guarantee load CPU temps are closer to 50 degrees. You are probably reporting idle temps, either that or the Asus temp probes are highly inaccurate.

I agree cooling should be a number one priority, but with that many fans, you need a bigger power supply. I had a 350 watt Antec until recently and my line voltages were dropping and flucuating too much with my 8 fans, drives, and power hungry P-4. A better power supply really helped me.

for an entire week I ran dual xp 1700's (stock speed) off a 300W PSU. You dont HAVE to get a better PSU just cause it's a 300watter. PSU's will vary, I'd work on the temps first.

BTW, the dual xp system had (at the time) scsi card, NIC, CDRW, CDR, Zip, Jaz, Floppy, 2 cpu fans, 4 case fans, a northbridge fan, two athlon cpus, and 2 hard drives. I doubt a P4 will be pulling in the same neighborhood.

But, it's all a luck of the draw thing on your PSU. Not saying just any 300W PSU will work well, just that it's not a given that it WONT work.

good luck, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the greeting SteenkyBastage!

I have checked the BIOS settings, when it comes to PC's I'm no newbie, just new to overclocking, I've only OC'd 4 systems or so... As for TEMP batboy, the highest I"ve seen it is 49C, but you're right, the ASUS probe could be inaccurate...

I can't find the voltage settings, ASUSP4S333-M BIOS!
Someone with this board help!

Thanks. ;)

I looked at the online manual for that mobo and I can't figure out how to change voltage either. Maybe post this question in the Asus motherboard section? If there is no way to adjust voltage, you might have to do the VID pin wire wrap, like pins #3 and #4 to increase it to 1.7v. See my article about Northwood VID pinning that is a sticky post at the top of the Intel CPU section. Again, you should have better cooling before even thinking about increasing voltage.

Back